48 read gear teeth count. Newbie needs a tutorial

I'm a dumb ass as it never dawned on me being a newbie that the front and rear sprockets can be swapped out. I have 48 teeth in the rear. I have to count the front sprocket teeth. Would this account for why the motor would be screaming when I'm getting close to 60mph? I hear some guys doing over 85mph on their bikes and I'm like there's no way. I have tons of torque, but top end is low. Bike is built for the trail and steep hills. 

So what are the thoughts regarding rear and front gear teeth count? How fast can a 600 get up to, and with what sprocket tooth ratio will get me at or over 100mph? As is, there's no way I can get on a highway in Arizona. I have to trailer everywhere I'd like to ride other than riding right outside of my house which has cool trails, but they are horribly dangerous. 

you can get a 13, 14 or 15 tooth on the front.

On the rear is somewhere in the 40's.

I think 14/48 is stock.  What bike do you have?

Going up 1 tooth in the front is like going 3 down in the rear is what I was always told.

higher front sprocket teeth (15) and lower rear sprocket will get you more top speed.

Lower front sprocket teeth (13) and higher rear sprocket will get you more low end torque making wheelies easy.

If you are comparing to a 650L too there's the fact the 600 has a lower primary reduction too.

If on the front the chain touches the keeper plate it's a 13 tooth, if there's some room between chain and keeper and some room around the sprocket it's a 14, if the sprocket fills the area around it it's a 15.  :)

On my 95 I was 15/43 for street until I put in the nx fifth gear. Then I went up to 45. 100 mph is possible, but I wouldn't hold it for long. But Ive held 80+ for the main part of a 100 mile trip.
Keep your 48. And get a 15. When you go to put it on, count the cs sprocket that you have on now. Its probably a 14. Either way. How much dirt are you doing? Cause you can do 15/43 and just swap to a 14 when you hit dirt. Or 15/45 and swap to a 14. But unless you're climbing, 48 is pretty big for the street.
My 88 is 15/47 and I use the 43 on my 17s. Im not aggressive enough on dirt to put the 14 on, but I have one. But I bet I could rip dirt on 15/45, definitely 14/45.
My 95 has a Cush hub too which smooths things out.

• Like 1

14/45 is great for a little bit of everything. 1st is still low enough on semi technical off road stints. Stock 5th is high enough to get somewhere at 65-70 being easy on the bike. And yes, I second that a cush hub seems to make a world of difference.