Piece of wooden dowel down spark plug hole

Well....I figured a wooden dowel rod would be safe to check for TDC...probably would have been if I turned the motor over by hand but since I have a Rekluse I'd have had to remove the stator cover. Wish I would have now. Instead I bumped the starter button for a split second.....snap! A piece a bit over an inch long got bit off. I've tried fishing it out the spark plug hole, using the shop vac with a small piece of tubing taped over the nozzle and I just finished removing the exhaust and trying to blow it out the open valve. I think it's bit too thick for that.

Any other ideas, or do I need to order a new head gasket? Bike is an 09 Husky TXC 450 btw.

Anybody know a good mechanic in central Ohio? I've been thinking about putting the counter balancer shaft in (TE and SMR models came with it) to kill some vibes. It's a bit of a paint shaker! I'm comfortable doing the head removal/replacement, but I've never split cases before.

Thanks!

....and feel free to call me a dumbass!

you arer going to have to take it apart, i know of one guy one guy who did it with a pencil in an XR. tried to fire it up to burn it off but it just got stuck under a valve so he had to take it apart anyways lol

• Like 1

Is the spark plug hole big enough to put an exacto knife through? If so, put the piston near tdc compression, maneuver the piece of wood to as close to the hole as possible with a coat hanger wire, then stab it on an end with the tip of the exacto and draw it back out.

Next time just pull the ignition cover off dumb-ass.:facepalm:

Try putting a glob of super glue/ or epoxy on the end of the stick if you can see the dowel in there, or try shopvac with a good seal BUT make sure one of the intake or exhaust valves are open so you have airflow through

honestly you will probably have to disassemble though

36 minutes ago, HappyAndy said:

Is the spark plug hole big enough to put an exacto knife through? If so, put the piston near tdc compression, maneuver the piece of wood to as close to the hole as possible with a coat hanger wire, then stab it on an end with the tip of the exacto and draw it back out.

Next time just pull the ignition cover off dumb-ass.:facepalm:

That might work, but I'd have to stab it at one end and finesse it through that tiny hole. Plus I can't get the damn thing in view in the hole. I can see it fly by when blowing air in the exhaust valve.

I resemble that remark!

1 hour ago, Wild Alaskan said:

you arer going to have to take it apart, i know of one guy one guy who did it with a pencil in an XR. tried to fire it up to burn it off but it just got stuck under a valve so he had to take it apart anyways lol

No way I'd start it with that in there.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RawbW said:

Try putting a glob of super glue/ or epoxy on the end of the stick if you can see the dowel in there, or try shopvac with a good seal BUT make sure one of the intake or exhaust valves are open so you have airflow through

honestly you will probably have to disassemble though

Tried the shopvac with exhaust valves open, no dice.

I'm about ready to order some parts...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TomTopDog12 said:

Id honestly try flipping the bike over to see if that works, beats pulling it all apart. 

Hmmmm....wonder how much a small crane rental would be! Gravity would get it right at the spark plug hole. I'd probably have to poke it to get it lined up straight to fall out. Tempting.

Id honestly try flipping the bike over to see if that works, beats pulling it all apart. 

I like this idea...I got a bent washer out of my spark plug hole this way because the washer would not allow the socket wrench to sit deep enough to remove the plug and give me access to the bent washer itself.  Flipped the bike over and it fell right out.  If you can position the piston so it's close to TDC and will give you a surface to push the piece of wood against...then you might be able to grab the wood with a pair of medical forceps up thru the spark plug hole...get the ones with the longest set of jaws......and even if you can't maneuver it to come out in one piece, you could maybe pull at it over and over again to break it into smaller pieces that will come out a bit at a time.

Get a couple of buddies to flip it upside down and position each end on a high stool or whatever will give you appropriate height. They can hold the bike while you go under it on your back and perform surgery....brain surgery in your case!! :lol:   :bonk:

That would be my desperate attempt.

Edited by travertt
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, travertt said:

I like this idea...I got a bent washer out of my spark plug hole this way because the washer would not allow the socket wrench to sit deep enough to remove the plug and give me access to the bent washer itself.  Flipped the bike over and it fell right out.  If you can position the piston so it's close to TDC and will give you a surface to push the piece of wood against...then you might be able to grab the wood with a pair of medical forceps up thru the spark plug hole...get the ones with the longest set of jaws......and even if you can't maneuver it to come out in one piece, you could maybe pull at it over and over again to break it into smaller pieces that will come out a bit at a time.

Get a couple of buddies to flip it upside down and position each end on a high stool or whatever will give you appropriate height. They can hold the bike while you go under it on your back and perform surgery....brain surgery in your case!! :lol:   :bonk:

That would be my desperate attempt.

I'm seriously considering it. Quicker and a lot cheaper. I think if it's close to the hole I can coax it out one way or another with gravity's help.

2 hours ago, not2shabby said:

....and feel free to call me a dumbass!

Can't, pot calling the kettle black syndrome.. :smirk:

I had an old XR400 years ago, in a brain fart moment decided I'd put a new spark plug in it. Having only dealt with old 2 strokes, I took the plug out not realizing that there was a pile of sand and grit junk piled around it. Teaspoon of it fell down into the cylinder and, still clueless, I put the new plug in and proceeded to try to start it. Second kick, no compression. Grit had blown up and stuck all 4 valves open. Had to take the head off and the valves out (twice), to get it all cleaned and vacuumed out. Fortunately it was an XR and not a new, much more complicated, bike.

We all have those moments.. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Flip that sucker over like your bicycle as a kid lol a guy brought me a warrior one time qiut running . Tappet nut came off rocker arm . Flipped it over nut fell out, couldn't believe it lol

...you can also float (gas) the wood to the top and get it out with a mechanics grabber.....

....Or you could pour a small amount of gas in there and burn up the wood....

....or you could contine to pulverise the wood with the piston... no, don't do that unless you want a guaranteed bent valve, which has probably already happened...

....or you could pour in a dozen carpenter ants, and wait...

.... or you could pull off the intake and exhaust and look in to see better...

• Like 3

@not2shabby

i did a bike upside down with a harbor freight engine hoist. If you're really honky you can do it with some rope/cable, pulleys and a tree lol

@OLHILLBILLY

if you think your Xr story is bad check out my xr story, I got it for my teenage(18,19?) birthday, rode it all day. the day after I go to kick it over and the cam chain jumps time and bends the intake valves. So I gather all my nonexistent funds and get new intake valves. Back to a happy rider. Then a couple months later the valve adjustment screw and locknut backed out and went all the way into the crankcase. Total engine tear down, would not come out. Strange because I'm ocd about tightening stuff, I overtighten everything and check it 3 times for extra tightness. Man did I feel stupid though.keep an eye on those

Think Weber.. I would burn it out. With the exhaust valve open(your wood burner intake), put a fish pump air hose in there. Soak your wood in lighter fluid and torch it. While it is burning, keep dripping drops of lighter fluid down the chimmny.  I would think 10 minute cook time should do.

• Like 2

Take it apart and save yourself the time and frustration of trying to fish it out. Been there with other stupid things dropped in cyl's. You'll end up spending twice as much time dicking around trying to fish it out, failing and then having to take it apart anyways than if you just took it apart from the beginning, trust me. 

• Like 1