2014 KX250F project bike

Hey all, it seems like KX250F project bike threads are popular right now...so I thought I would start mine.  Funny story is that I purchase a 2013 RMZ250 from his cousin that was completely locked up.  Super neglected bike...it looked like they did drag races in the street based on the rear tire being bald right in the center.  Shaking my head. 

I purchased the 2014 bike yesterday and here is what I know so far (yes, I got a really GOOD deal on it):

1. It will bump start, half that time, will not hold an idle
  2. Kickstart will not turn the bike over
  3. The bike has been neglected (similar to the neglected dog commercials you see on late night TV where they want you only donate $.40 a day to save a dog)
  4. Drained the oil today, luckily there was oil in it, but it was REALLY black.  I cant get the oil filter out, it seems stuck on the rubber o-ring in rear.   I will just remove it later when I pull the engine.
  5. Radiator was decently full.  
  6. A lot of cosmetic replacements in the future (levers, case saver, new rear pipe).  Not that none of them are in working condition, but since this will be my main bike, I would like it to be nice  and functional.
  7. Owner put in a new piston and cylinder (the cylinder does look really clean and newer in color compared to the rest of the engine.
  8. New tires will be needed, if I want the bike to grip dirt. ;)

My hope is that the Valves are just way off spec and the timing is off with the cams.  The owner told me the valves needed to be checked, but based on the above details of the bike and how it was cared for, I dont trust anything the guy is saying.  Naturally, a new plug and run some injector cleaner through the system would be good.  Worse case is that I need to replace the valves and MAYBE the cylinder head needs to be sent to a shop.  The owner also gave an a new crank with a moose racing connecting rod installed as one unit.  

More to come early next week, but the process has begun.  Oh, yea, I got the 500 page service manual...it was the first thing I did!  

20170322_220418_1493766693550.jpg

20170502_191232_1493769360472.jpg

20170504_214344.jpg

20170504_214334.jpg

• Like 1

I am contemplating tearing the whole thing down cleaning it and reassembling, but I'm just not sure I have that in me

This is a prime example of why people question why their bike doesn't work....can't wait to see the progress!

Believe me, the previous owner did not deserve this bike! Now it has a good home, she will run again, with a vengeance, soon!

First I thing I would do is put a new top end in it. I dont care if they say they put one in yesterday. Put a fresh one in, inspect the cylinder and make sure its done right. That bike does not even have grips on it. If they were too lazy and cheap to put a fresh pair of $10 grips on it, I guarantee anything that cost more than $10 was not done on it either....

• Like 2

Great points.

As soon as I can get the YZ250 sold and out the door and the YZ450 ready to sell, I am pulling the engine and will start breaking it down.  More to come in the near future.  

Edited by TPA-MX

I had one intake valve get out of spec on my '12 a while back, it caused it to not want to cold start and was a pita to bump start cold, but fired right up after the initial bump start got it going. Despite this remark I swear I'm fairly religious about my maintenance! :)

Should be a fun project! While I had my motor out, I did a lot of basic maintenance on it. Previous owner had gone through the bike before I bought it (except the motor) and headset bearings etc were well past due so I went through most everything (swingarm bearings, headset, etc) 

Never heard of an oil filter being stuck on. That's gnarly! 

Edited by Dolamite

the crank you got with a Moose rod is probably a rebranded Carrillo

• Like 1