XR650L Nicked front fork

I dropped the bike and the front fork hit a rock which nicked the shock and now leaks.  pic attached.  Is this something that could be polished smooth to reduce or eliminate the leakage? Or, will the pipe need replacement?  (obviously the seal is damaged and would need replacement / rebuild.)  

Any ideas?? 

thanks

Kris

front fork.jpg

Wow, one tough rock! Maybe it was a big diamond! Go back and get it! If it were me, and if I had to replace tube, I might try JB Weld & polish it smooth. You only lose a couple of bucks & a little time. & if it looks like it will work, then change seal.

Also a low temp brazing alloy at 430degrees may work. Its pretty cool stuff!

http://www.messerwelding.com/Product PDFs/by part/MG 120.pdf

• Like 2

Typically even if there's a little bit of a divot polishing it such that none 'sticks out' and it ramps into the groove smoothly will either stop the leaking or lessen it to the point where it's not noticeable, even with the seal that's in there.

I'd say smooth and polish and evaluate after doing that.

• Like 1

XR Dave gave you good advice. Try it first before spending time and money replacing.

Over the years I have had several nicks in fork tubes that I have polished as Dave suggested and never did replace a fork tube.

On severe nicks I had had to start with a small file and progress to medium and then fine emery cloth to finish the polishing. You will be very surprised at the results, I have been.

Good luck, don't hurry and let us know if you save it!

• Like 1