2006 kx450f locked up

Just thought I'd ask the ones who know more about them seeing as how I've never owned a 450, today I got offered a 2006 kx450f that's locked up on a trade for my 85 Honda 200x. (Get your laughs out now) Anyways, I say trade value is 800$ on my trike, is this a good trade? Worst case scenario what is a motor job going to run me? Any help/info is appreciated. IMG_1408.JPG

Well, I can give you my experience so far with rebuilds. My 08' KX450f also locked up about 2 weeks ago and I went through the rebuild with it. What was wrong with mine is the timing chain got kinked up, piston was scarred, the tensioner was trashed and stuck so I couldn't kick it over. We ended up bump starting it to hear a crazy loud knock. After taking it apart (with the help of a 20yr power sport mechanic) It was going to run me about $400 just for parts. I did the labor so we split it. 

But, I would say maybe try bumping it behind a ATV like we did. It could need a whole new bottom end and top end. Parts alone for those two (Not including labor) is going to be around $600+. Personally? I wouldn't. These bikes are very high maintenance. If you don't have a use for a 450 then why trade it? If you have the money sure, but if not I wouldn't. Just my $0.02 though. 

Good luck with whatever you do with it.

68136.jpeg

68138.jpeg

Edited by BAJACRAZY

Don't try  bumps start the bike it could just ruin more parts in the engine.

Start locate the problem, take of valve cover and start feeling the parts.

You can download a service manual or buy the paper on ebay pretty cheap and there you have all info you need to do a engine rebuild or whatever you have to do.

But way trade a bike that could cost more then a working newer bike if you just won't to learn about mechanics I would understand but it could cost

I would stay away

Edited by skorpan777

i blew the crank in my 08 KX 450 last year. Cost me about $600 in parts. Did the labor on my own with my dad.