New to KTM

10 hours ago, XtremeDuners said:

I see you have a brand new-ish KX in the back. I made the swap from Kawi to KTM and so far its been a good decision.  The new KTM's are pretty awesome, and the AER forks (to me) are a lot better than the TAC forks on the Kawi.

The kx belongs to my kid. But my last bike was a 2016 kx450f. The biggest issue I had with the TAC forks was the amount of adjustability they had. I found myself trying to adjust for every little thing. Always searching for a better feel/ ride. I'm hoping with wp AER fork that I can just check the air pressure and go ride. Maybe make some small changes with clickers here and there. Which was how my first ride went. I made one air pressure change. Went from 157 psi to 140 psi. After that, I was able to leave it alone...

That's exactly what I came off of. The forks on the KX are definitely tricky and although I think I got them figured out for my riding, the stiction it what I couldn't handle.

They'd feel really good and then I'd pull over for a few minutes and start back up, and the forks would feel totally different.

I started at 145PSI and ended up going to 150PSI. But yea, the AER forks are pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

Still loving the KTM! I'm so close to having it dialed in.  Another ride and it should be good. only 5.3 hours on the meter.  I'm trying to take my time and not make too many adjustments while it's still breaking in. Also, I haven't ridden since I sold my 2016 kx450f almost 20 months ago.  So, there's still a few things that I need to work out that are more associated with my riding posture and fitness and not so much with bike setup. I figured as my fitness and speed on the bike improves so will my confidence... But as the bike sits, it feels pretty good......

6 ft, 177lb vet rider, motocross...

Fork height 10mm (2.5 mm below the 3rd line) 142 psi, c17, r12

Shock 104mm sag, HSC 2, LSC 17, R12

I'm using all of the stroke, slightly bottoming the forks. I can't really tell though. I had to use a zip tie to check. The small bumps are no problem but the larger chop is very apparent. Has been from day one with stock setup.  The only thing I noted that makes any difference is raising the air pressure to 150+. The track I'm using to break the bike in is a dry beat up desert motocross track. Good size jumps, no traction, has shallow ruts with acceleration bumps, berms, etc  If I can get a bike to feel good on this track, a nice prepped track will feel like heaven.20140222_095819.jpg.fd7f746728a3cd4aa2fc760b3c5f3f10.jpg

Edited by KTMrider37
  • Like 1

Holy crap!!  Hey Joe and Tony, what's up?  I knew I recognized that track.

I was down at Murrieta KTM and they almost have me talked into a KTM instead of a Yamaha to replace my aging 50th anniversary bike.  You know Ryan is all about KTM and that's what he wants to go back to once he's off the 150RB.

I knew Joe couldn't stay off of dirtbikes for long, haha.

Dave

Hey Dave. 

Street bikes were fun, but didn't scratch the itch. I'm liking the KTM. Cole stuck with kawi. He went to a kx250f after the 150rb and felt comfortable right away. We ended up getting him another one. That dam kid is almost faster than me. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm on a 450 and he's on a 250, I'd be getting past....

• Like 1

Yeah, Ryan rode Doc's CRF250R and fell in love with the 250.  He was clearing all the jumps that Doc can't do yet with his own bike, haha.  He just can't touch the ground.  He can't wait to move up and wants to go KTM when he does.  If Ryan was on a 250, he'd probably be faster than me.  At my cruising speed, he can stay right with me on his 150RB, but every time he gets close enough to try to overtake, I just wick it up enough to gap him, haha.

I'm on the fence.  You know I'm a Yamaha guy and the YZ450F is pretty badass, but it is heavy which I detest, however I didn't really feel it when I rode Kevin's 2016 in the dunes.  That, and my current supermoto stuff will bolt right onto a Yamaha.  KTM is just so very prevalent out here with their headquarters and race teams in Murrieta.  Not to mention that the KTM dealership is really cool, and the local Yamaha dealership won't give you the time a day without spending some money first.  And you know how I like to hangout at the friendly dealerships.

That 2018 450SX-F looks great with the orange frame now too.  Decisions, decisions......

Dave