Sign in to follow this  

Lead into corners with upperbody?

I don't suck that bad but I struggle with a feeling my front is always about to wash out, especially on flat stuff. I also really struggle keeping the bike leaned when I'm getting tired. First moto I'm flying and by my last moto it feels like I just have poor control in corners. Always standing it up.-

I believe I have good body position by pictures of me riding, up on the tank, good elbows, but I think I've more or less not been leaning my upper body enough into corners. I'm not lining up with the bikes lean. Therefore fighting and pushing the bike down and once in tired it makes it really unreliable and inconsistent.

So in the field today working on figure eights after watching Gary's videos and reading a bunch about corners and having same feelings as normal but then decided I'm going to kind of hang/lean to the inside with my upper body and see what happened. Think more like a GP racer on a road track. In real life I am guessing that I was probably just now getting leaned with the bike but it felt like I was really leading the lean with my top half(butt was in same spot on the seat. Not like I was actually hanging off the inside.) The difference was pretty crazy. Instead of fighting to push the bike down i was able to kind of hold the bike down with my legs. I actually felt the way they talk about squeezing and feeling the bike with my legs during the turn. Pretty significant change in the feel at the bars because I was loose with my hands for once. Weight was still on the pegs and I was able to lean much further and the front wheel felt much more planted. Also felt much more in control accelerating it off the turn. I guess it's just hard to put pressure on the bike in a turn if you are sitting to upright compared to the bikes lean? Also it will make the front will want to squirt out?

Question is does this sound plausible and correct? The leaning, leading with upper body into the turn early? Leaning with the upper body making it easier to hold the bike with my legs?

Sure felt like a break through. Can't wait to go to the track

• Like 1

Got to take this to the track a couple times. It's a big help to think of it this way for me. Still not comfortable with trusting the lean every time, but when I do it's much faster and easier.

This is a good thread. I was suprised you didn't get any bites. I know when I get tired I start having the same problem. I stop leading with my lean and the bike starts standing up. Most of my tracks get rutted so the front washing isn't an issue. On flat corners I would look at where you transition from standing to sitting if your having issues with the front washing. Smooth braking and throttle transition with minimal coasting. I'd try to isolate where and when it's washing and adjust accordingly.

I guess there's not a ton of new info here, just saying it differently. It's really just trust I lack. I don't like hitting the dirt. My son rips, but he's s dirt magnet. We weigh him before he rides and pay the tracks by how much dirt he takes from the track. I bail and will drop a bike in a heartbeat.

You are right about braking and throttle control. I am working on that every time I go to the track. I brake to early, coast, and I know that the coasting is where I lack/lose control. Been trying to cut that down to just brakes then gas, no coasting, and it helps. Just feels scary coming in hotter to the corner but it's getting better. That's in Gary's videos too.

All in all am progressing without crashing, which is the goal for a guy that has to work Monday.

Edited by gduck24

Faster you go the more you can lean👍 and won't fall over if you keep that speed threw corner. But if your riding with bunch of novice riders the corners won't be suitable for leaning.  Practice on corners that fast riders made the rut will be at steeper angle.  

• Like 1

The less I use the front brake through the turn the better. I do all my braking before the turn the coast while I start the lean. Then when I am leaned over is when I will use throttle to keep the lean from going over too far

• Like 1