Do you have the GYTR Power Tuner?  If so, just start with one of the Yamaha suggested maps that is closest to the conditions you will ride next and then make small adjustments and record the changes and their results.  It's very easy and simpler and more effective than getting a shop to guess at maps for you.  That's how I did it for my 2016 YZ250F and I got some maps that I love for the various conditions I ride.

I've been running my 2017 YZ250FX the past few weekends on tight single track and wider, straighter trails with sand whoops and I really like the base (all zeroes) maps on this bike for those conditions.  I'm still waiting for local tracks to dry out a bit so that I can start trying the FX there and developing some maps.

I am also hunting for 17 250F maps.  Seems to be as rare as Alta's.

I am new to the 4T world. Have a new 17 250F with .5 hrs. on it.   I have seen the maps on Yamaha's website for the 17, but that is all I have seen.  Right now I do not feel comfy with "winging" it with maps. 

My bike is stock.

Fuel is 50/50 VP T4 (100 oct/oxy) & 90 octane non ethanol fuel.

Maybe someone else has found maps that pertain to the 17...?

18 hours ago, Whymee said:

I am also hunting for 17 250F maps.  Seems to be as rare as Alta's.

I am new to the 4T world. Have a new 17 250F with .5 hrs. on it.   I have seen the maps on Yamaha's website for the 17, but that is all I have seen.  Right now I do not feel comfy with "winging" it with maps. 

My bike is stock.

Fuel is 50/50 VP T4 (100 oct/oxy) & 90 octane non ethanol fuel.

Maybe someone else has found maps that pertain to the 17...?

Saw you post on Vital as well. Rare as Unicorns. I haven't found diddly either,  I've put some messages out to test riders and mags with no replys. The reports I have found seem to be unanimous in that they like the stock map pretty much. One test site said their expert level  liked the aggressive map ( I assume that is the sand/loam map).

I'll continue with the stock map until I hear something better to try. I'm stock, FMF Ti4, and flow more air with the cycra kit, screen elim and a vented plate. 50/50 NE fuel.

Edited by Concep29

Thanks for the reply Concep29.

I plan on adding a pipe & the Twin Air Powerflow Kit.  That screen seems to me, to be taking up alot of the available area to pass air. 

Without maps there is no way I will attempt this.  I almost wish for something I understand: a carburetor.

I bought the GYTR  Power Tuner and learned how to use it.  It's very, very easy to use.

You can store maps and download them in a minute.  Swapping brass in a carb is much harder.

If I can do it anyone can.

• Helpful 1

I carried alot of my parts over from my 14 to my 17. Stock map is awesome. I love to hammer like a 125 in the sand and I found the stock mapmid great the aggresive is to much.  I changed maps alot on my 14. But the 17 is sweet as . 

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2017 at 9:28 AM, Max17 said:

Do you have the GYTR Power Tuner?  If so, just start with one of the Yamaha suggested maps that is closest to the conditions you will ride next and then make small adjustments and record the changes and their results.  It's very easy and simpler and more effective than getting a shop to guess at maps for you.  That's how I did it for my 2016 YZ250F and I got some maps that I love for the various conditions I ride.

I've been running my 2017 YZ250FX the past few weekends on tight single track and wider, straighter trails with sand whoops and I really like the base (all zeroes) maps on this bike for those conditions.  I'm still waiting for local tracks to dry out a bit so that I can start trying the FX there and developing some maps.

51292694_YZmap1.png.54b4c4b2c7e71e05c0e12d0004d84924.png253254818_YZmap2.png.590aef14c5a8223793d27fdf54ab9e3f.png525171991_YZmap2.png.75842e0ba8c7415700d6f47262d0edde.png944790752_mappic1.png.25762fb04be4171bd87a98974d4843bc.png256608367_mappic2.png.33dc83bbf687090447c400353ee216ad.png2020706835_mappic3.png.4cfa97c2f37524c8c0baef3dc9924640.png809320918_mappic4.png.24a0f8a6ffd6c2b5fb1a507cf8ba1d95.png1747747228_mappic5.png.9df926c8795f660327080f0db84b9f60.png

Edited by Jonah Davis
typo

Hey Jonah,

Have you tried any of those F maps on an FX?  If so, which maps for which conditions and how did you like them?

8 hours ago, Max17 said:

Hey Jonah,

Have you tried any of those F maps on an FX?  If so, which maps for which conditions and how did you like them?

Hey max17, according to what I have found about the differences between F and FX, the engines are the same.

"with firmer suspension settings, a YZ250F exhaust system (with mapping to suit) and no lights. Or, if you’d prefer to compare it with the MXer, it’s a YZ250F with a six-speed gearbox, electric-start, 18-inch rear wheel, silver rims, more compliant suspension settings, an alloy side stand, and the electrics required to power lights. " - transmoto

This means that if you use any of the maps I've posted that correspond to your model year you should get the same general result. The biggest difference will be gearing 5speed vs 6speed. The torque will most likely be more pronounced down near first and second and sixth might feel not as responsive as on the F. This being said as long as you use maps designated for your corresponding ride being a 2016 or the updated engine in the 2017/2018 bikes you should be fine.

I have not tried a 250FX, but I would still recommend maps 2) with maybe a tad negative in the bottom left corner for fuel and slightly more positive bottom left for ignition (this should give more grit down low but try both) or 5) or 6) , if you plan on riding woods or tight technical stuff. 

If you want all the power the hard hitting or my favorite the Mack truck maps really rip!

Hope that helps and feel free to ask more questions!

Posted (edited)

The engines are quite similar between the F and FX for similar model years but the ECU base settings are quite different and changing maps makes changes relative to the base settings.  The public maps and ones I've made made myself for my son's 2016 YZ250F feel very different on my 2017 YZ250F even when I go down a tooth on the rear sprocket of the FX to match the F's final gearing.  There isn't a linear difference between the F and FX base settings so that a mapping change on one won't have the same resulting profile on the other but just moved a bit higher or lower.  This isn't a criticism of you at all and it was nice of you to post the maps you did.  I'm sure they will be helpful to some people.

I really like the visualizations of the maps you provided.  They are a good way to see what each map does in total rather than for just specific parts of the RPM/ignition/fuel combinations.  I think those will help people with various F/FX, 250/450, model year combinations develop or fine tune their own maps.

Thanks

Edited by Max17
  • Like 1

On 8/1/2017 at 1:47 PM, beezer said:

I bought the GYTR  Power Tuner and learned how to use it.  It's very, very easy to use.

You can store maps and download them in a minute.  Swapping brass in a carb is much harder.

If I can do it anyone can.

Try adjusting ignition timing with a carb.  😂

• Haha 1

On 6/5/2021 at 10:56 AM, Max17 said:

The engines are quite similar between the F and FX for similar model years but the ECU base settings are quite different and changing maps makes changes relative to the base settings.  The public maps and ones I've made made myself for my son's 2016 YZ250F feel very different on my 2017 YZ250F even when I go down a tooth on the rear sprocket of the FX to match the F's final gearing.  There isn't a linear difference between the F and FX base settings so that a mapping change on one won't have the same resulting profile on the other but just moved a bit higher or lower.  This isn't a criticism of you at all and it was nice of you to post the maps you did.  I'm sure they will be helpful to some people.

I really like the visualizations of the maps you provided.  They are a good way to see what each map does in total rather than for just specific parts of the RPM/ignition/fuel combinations.  I think those will help people with various F/FX, 250/450, model year combinations develop or fine tune their own maps.

Thanks

Great response! I was unaware that the F and FX models had different ECU baselines (seems kinda obvious to me now). I did know that the 2014 to 2016 models have had different characteristics due to different motor updates. The 2016 is very different from the 2017/2018 engine based solely on the argument of the rpm range and power curve. If you see maps from GYTR for 2016 and compare them to 2017 you will see that the rpm positions are different: 4000, 6500, 9000 rpm on the 2016 and 4000, 7000, 10000 rpm on the 2017/2018. Not only are the data points different the range of rpm is broader on the newer engines. This explains why you can't copy and paste maps between years (they are out of context with each other), but may be able to explore trends...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jonah Davis said:

Great response! I was unaware that the F and FX models had different ECU baselines (seems kinda obvious to me now). I did know that the 2014 to 2016 models have had different characteristics due to different motor updates. The 2016 is very different from the 2017/2018 engine based solely on the argument of the rpm range and power curve. If you see maps from GYTR for 2016 and compare them to 2017 you will see that the rpm positions are different: 4000, 6500, 9000 rpm on the 2016 and 4000, 7000, 10000 rpm on the 2017/2018. Not only are the data points different the range of rpm is broader on the newer engines. This explains why you can't copy and paste maps between years (they are out of context with each other), but may be able to explore trends...

Good points.         I just realized a typo in my post.  We have a '16 F and a '17 FX which are more different from each other than '16 and '17 F models.

• Like 1