How do you set your FCR AP timing?

Hi guys and gals, im looking for some opinions and guidance. I have read countless threads and stickies from here and other forums. I am looking for your opinion on which method worked best for you to set your AP timing. I am referring to this thread for info.

JD recommends 1/4 to 1/2 out from touching of the screw to the AP arm. Some recommend looking at the slide when you punch the throttle and adjust it so that the squirt just clears the slide. The method outlined in the link (setting a spacer under the slide and adjusting) is the one I dont quite understand. I would like to know your opinions and what worked best for you. If you are able to help me understand how to do the adjustment and why would I need to put a spacer under the slide for adjustment? I have some experience with carbs but this is my first time trying to adjust the AP squirt.

I dont want to take the carb out if I can do this with it attached. Hoping to get a better understanding before I tackle this.

Does that distance change with a much firmer AP spring? 

I think that's a good starting point. Any idea how many turns out from "no free play" that is?

The best way is to use a video camera and watch the squirt in slow motion, and adjust to suit.

With a bright light and some patience, you can do it without the camera, just inspectng the spray itself.

Getting the squirt to always just get under the slide and never hit it, with both partial and full wot turns is ideal.

Using the measurement or the turns-out number is just a starting point, IMHO.

The stiffer spring will not change the at rest measurements.

4 hours ago, Krannie McKranface said:

The best way is to use a video camera and watch the squirt in slow motion, and adjust to suit.

With a bright light and some patience, you can do it without the camera, just inspectng the spray itself.

Getting the squirt to always just get under the slide and never hit it, with both partial and full wot turns is ideal.

Using the measurement or the turns-out number is just a starting point, IMHO.

The stiffer spring will not change the at rest measurements.

Would I need to set any gap on the slide beforehand? I'm not sure what exactly I have to adjust, or the order. I assume that the adjustable leak jet will play a role in tuning the squirt along with the AP timing. Do you focus on one before the other? What I mean by that is do you set the squirt duration before the timing, or vice versa.