Rm250 2006 mixture and best oil ?

Haven't had a 2 stroke for a while whats the best mixture to run on and best oil to use ?

Haven't had a 2 stroke for a while whats the best mixture to run on and best oil to use ?

I have a 2003 rm250 and i mix it 32-1, that's what the previous owner ran in it, i also know a guy with a 2001 kx250 and he mixes the same ratio, it works great
  • Like 1

32:1 or 40:1 are the two preferred mix ratios for older MX bikes. I use 40:1 in my YZ for the woods, if you're going to be doing constant throttle pinned MX, then 32:1 might be a better choice (though still probably overkill with today's oils).

As for oil, pick any synthetic pre-mix that has a bottle color and label design that you like and you'll be good to go. It's that simple, all synthetic and syn blend premix oils are good anymore.

• Like 2

Like @OLHILLBILLY said, most are good to go nowadays. Some are better than others, but they'll all get you where you need to be within reason. I would just add the stipulation to look for ones that meet JASO or ISO specifications and you'll have some assurance it is good.

• Like 1

There is not a "best mix", if the bike is stock (a different pipe is still ok) just use pump premium and a good quality 2 stroke motorcycle specific oil from your local dealership (NOT hardware store weed wacker oil !).  Most of the newer oils can safely be mixed at 40 or 50 to 1 without exceeding their lubrication abilities.

• Like 1

I run 50:1 in my Rm 250 for woods, and 40:1 when i go to the track. I use the Klots R50, and haven't had any trouble with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peyton mcadams said:

I run 50:1 in my Rm 250 for woods, and 40:1 when i go to the track. I use the Klots R50, and haven't had any trouble with it. 

Here is a good idea. 

I run Bel Ray fully synthetic at 45:1 and I've had no issues. I ride slower woods trails, no racing. 

I run klotz oil and run 28:1 on a yz250 2016. I run it hard and i have no problem fouling the plug. Have about $1000 in aftermarket parts, and run 110 race fuel

• Like 1

32:1 klotz r-50 user here, although you may be able to get away with less oil. As always, be sure to have your bike jetted good, and stick with the same mix ratio to not throw things off.

generally speaking, the harder it's going to be ridden the more oil you want 

edit:as stated below changing gas/oil mix will change overall jetting

more oil/less fuel= leaner=jet carb richer

less oil/more fuel=richer=jet carb leaner

you may not have to Re-jet due to mixture change depending on how much you changed it, and several other factors. Some may just require a mixture screw adjust, which I do everytime I ride almost. 

Edited by RawbW
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, RawbW said:

generally speaking, the harder it's going to be ridden the more oil you want 

generally keep in mind that more oil = less fuel = leaner (fuel/air ratio).

So I would recommend to use air screw when changing for example: from 50:1 to 30:1. You will gain engine performance. This is only my advice, no requirement :)

• Like 1

@jakp

that's correct! I should have added that in because some are unaware,  I said good jetting but didn't mention to change/adjust it for that so clearly!

Edited by RawbW

I remember back in the day, every pro mechanic from the top riders would be asked this question like ten times a day and what would come up most often was 32/1. When Jeremy McGrath himself said he was mixing at 32/1 that was enough for me...

go to www.dragonfly75.com/moto/oil.html

RM250 guy, you need to also read my engine oil page because you are using an oil made for snowmobiles only, not for motocrossers.

Edited by jaguar57