2001 cr250 carburetor identification

Hi all just bought myself my first cr today. It's a 2001 cr250. Pretty happy with it but it needs a bit of work to get it up to scratch. It runs but just a bit rough, I could list what it needs but I'd be here a while ha ha. Any way the carburetor needs to overhauled so I started looking for a code on it. Then hello it's running a keihin carb, I thought the 2001 run a mikuni. The carb is a keihin PJ28KA I'll through a photo of the entire code up. Anyway I'm looking to find which model cr these originally came off and is it a decent enough carburetor, will it get the bike running really well or should I up grade it?2017-05-05 19.59.59.jpg20170505_163459.jpg20170505_163507.jpg20170505_163519.jpgreceived_696514120533995.jpeg

Just found this on ali express. What are your thoughts on it? Is it a rip off or real thing? If it works well, for that price you could replace it easy enough every now and againScreenshot_2017-05-05-20-16-46.png

Why not dismantle yours, clean it thoroughly and ask here for jetting advice for your altitude-temps and give it a try. Basically free and you will learn a few things. The Keihin is a very popular conversion from the Mikuni. And the 01 is a great bike, enjoy it.

Why not dismantle yours, clean it thoroughly and ask here for jetting advice for your altitude-temps and give it a try. Basically free and you will learn a few things. The Keihin is a very popular conversion from the Mikuni. And the 01 is a great bike, enjoy it.

That is the plan, but after some reading I had come to the conclusion the carb was of a 93 cr250. My question was really will a carburetor off that much older cr work well on the 01? But it has also been said it's off a pre 97 so that makes me a little happier knowing it's closer to the age of the bike. I was only looking at the pwk because that's what my ktm was running and holy shit that was a good carburetor.

• Like 1

That's a Keihin PJ (used pre-'97) not a PWK that's installed on your bike. Betcha the "PWK" on Ali express is a bad copy. 

Ha ha yeah I know they are different carbs. I've had a pwk on a previous bike and it was really good. I have been reading the reviews on those carbs and you're right they are not true keihin but apparently good copies. I would prefer the real thing

Just now, Cole Way said:

Ha ha yeah I know they are different carbs. I've had a pwk on a previous bike and it was really good. I have been reading the reviews on those carbs and you're right they are not true keihin but apparently good copies. I would prefer the real thing

Purchase either from Sudco or J.D. Jetting then. However, if you can find a mint Mikuni TMX for cheap there's no reason to pass on one of those IMO. Many haters on them which makes the price low. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
That's a Keihin PJ (used pre-'97) not a PWK that's installed on your bike. Betcha the "PWK" on Ali express is a bad copy. 

Any idea on the exact model pj it is? It says pj28k on it but can't find any info on it and have read other threads where it is referred to as a 38mm. The intake side, inside dia is roughly 38mm. Does that make it a pj38 mm? Trying to get parts for it but as far as I can tell there are 3 different sizes 34, 36 and the 38.

Any idea on the exact model pj it is? It says pj28k on it but can't find any info on it and have read other threads where it is referred to as a 38mm. The intake side, inside dia is roughly 38mm. Does that make it a pj38 mm? Trying to get parts for it but as far as I can tell there are 3 different sizes 34, 36 and the 38.

Carb rebuild kit for either size carb will be the same between 34 36 or 38. the jets may vary but none are correct anyways because they're not actual keihin jets. It costs a little more but you're better off buying oem parts for it.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 4:18 AM, Cole Way said:

Just found this on ali express. What are your thoughts on it? Is it a rip off or real thing? If it works well, for that price you could replace it easy enough every now and againScreenshot_2017-05-05-20-16-46.png

that's not a keihin. theres a reason the name is blurred out. pretty sure they spell it different.

Why would someone want to copy a turd? Ha ha ha! Just kidding! I know if anyone can tune a Mik to run as well as a Keihin, shrub it's you!

You guys are forgetting that MANY brands of motorcycle are running the Keihin 38MM PWK Airstriker. You can find a factory Keihin for the same price as that Chinese knock-off. The last one I purchased was from a RM250. It came with the power jet which I easily removed and plugged the hole. I think I paid right at $100 with it including shipping.

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:43 PM, Kawabuggy said:

Why would someone want to copy a turd? Ha ha ha! Just kidding! I know if anyone can tune a Mik to run as well as a Keihin, shrub it's you!

You guys are forgetting that MANY brands of motorcycle are running the Keihin 38MM PWK Airstriker. You can find a factory Keihin for the same price as that Chinese knock-off. The last one I purchased was from a RM250. It came with the power jet which I easily removed and plugged the hole. I think I paid right at $100 with it including shipping.

of course you can find a used carb for the price of a Chinese copy.

Ha ha ha so does anyone know which carb the pj28k is??? I'm trying to replace parts and want to be sure I've got the right part numbers. I have bought the starter valve for it under the assumption the carb is a pj 38mm. It's still in transit from the states to nz. Not sure if I've payed for the correct part or not