Sign in to follow this  

Engine Mechanical/Operation Question

Looks like the ATV forums don't get much action, so I laid it out here to hope for an answer.

I bought an '05 Honda TRX250EX yesterday. Kinda know the owner. ATV is in pretty good shape, but it wouldn't stay running. After I gave him $860, he made mention of me needing to buy a cap for the rear crankcase cover where the transmission fluid is added.

Well, I got the quad home, sat on it, and tried to drive it ~200 yards to my barn. I felt a puff of air on my left pants' leg, looked down, and saw some oil residue on my leg.

So - here's the question: why is the crankcase under pressure when trying to fire the engine? In my mind, it is a separate reservoir to hold gearcase oil for the transmission. So it should be isolated from any compression, right?

Anyway, I ordered a $15 cap and $4 o-ring. I ended up towing the TRX down to the barn with my Pioneer...

Hopefully, this purchase wasn't a mistake...

On most Honda quads, the oil is shared with the engine & transmission/gearbox so what you experienced is normal.

I can somewhat understand that...however, if both fill caps call for different types of fluid, then wouldn't that mean that they are independent of one another?

The engine has a dipstick/fill cap where the oil goes that lubes both the engine and transmission/clutch as far as I know. What other cap did you find, where is it located?

The fill cap is about 8" to the right of the oil dipstick. It isn't a thumb-turn cap, but uses an Allen key, I believe. On schematics, it is on the drawing called rear crankcase.

Check the vents for a clogging (like perhaps a mud wasp).
At idle, it is normal for a vent to pull and push some air (fumes) and once rpms rise, for that to go away.
Get a service manual too.

Umm...I think the failure to run is because there is no internal combustion pressure due to that cap being missing. I don't think dirt-dobbers stole it. 🙂

The missing cap would not affect the ability for the engine to run. It might make a mess with oil misting, it might encourage engine damage from allowing the ingress of dirt and debris.

The missing cap would not affect the ability for the engine to run. It might make a mess with oil misting, it might encourage engine damage from allowing the ingress of dirt and debris.

Hmm... Gotcha. Just figured it was losing pressure and causing a stall.

It seemed to run fine for about 20 seconds and then it just puttered out. I figured I'd hit it hard with some carb cleaner, some octane boost, a new air filter, an oil change, and ride it like I stole it.

That is the rear end, not the engine transmission.

Hmm. I thought I remembered that page number from last night. I'm on my phone right now. Hang on. I'll be back with a proper page number.