KX100 wheels on a KTM300?

OK, Let me start at the beginning. I bought a new KTM300xc about a yr or so ago. My buddy also was in the market for a bike. We are both short. I had kreft lower my suspension 2 inches while having my suspension done It came out awesome but was pricey. Also I've been short my whole life and I'm kind of use to not reaching the ground. My buddy decides to buy a KX100 and not taking my advice that its going to be under powered for a 200lbs guy. He came to terms that the bike is to small and bought a new 2017 300xc. Instead of spending the money to get it lowered he wants to put his wheels from the kx100 onto his 300xc. It doesnt sound like a good idea to me. Will it even work?  what are everyones thoughts about this?

1 minute ago, STR8SHOOTR said:

OK, Let me start at the beginning. I bought a new KTM300xc about a yr or so ago. My buddy also was in the market for a bike. We are both short. I had kreft lower my suspension 2 inches while having my suspension done It came out awesome but was pricey. Also I've been short my whole life and I'm kind of use to not reaching the ground. My buddy decides to buy a KX100 and not taking my advice that its going to be under powered for a 200lbs guy. He came to terms that the bike is to small and bought a new 2017 300xc. Instead of spending the money to get it lowered he wants to put his wheels from the kx100 onto his 300xc. It doesnt sound like a good idea to me. Will it even work?  what are everyones thoughts about this?

I doubt that the offset and shit is all the same and they would just bolt up. But lets put the potential mechanical issues aside for a moment... thats just a stupid &%$#@!ing idea. A brand new kick ass bike with little baby wheels on it... da faq?

• Like 4

I agree with señorthumpy. Even though his last sentence sounded a bit like Idiocracy.

Edited by BushPig
better vid
  • Like 1

Ummm, yea, not a good idea.  Spend the extra money and have it lowered right or don't bother.  You could reduce the preload on the rear to reduce the seat height but to balance the front you need to slide the forks up in the triple clamps but I have no idea of how far you can go with the forks.  And if you go too soft on the rear it will bottom excessively, possibly breaking something.  Go easy though and option #2 could be used until he can afford to get the suspension done.

Instead of spending the money to get it lowered he wants to put his wheels from the kx100 onto his 300xc.

IMG_4667.JPG

Sell the 100 and use the money to do it right.
  • Like 3

I would love to see the monster truck without It's monster truck wheels/tires equivalent for a dirt bike. Tell him to go for it.

download (1).jpg

• Like 2

Ever rode a bike and hit the smallest of rocks and tire washes out, now shrink that tire, hella lot worse! Bad ideal.

Do you know someone that is always right. And you cant get a valid point across. He didnt listen to me initially and has a KX100 that he doesnt want. Now has a great bike he doesnt like because he feels its to big. That monster truck with the small wheels is funny. Maybe after he sees these post it might change his mind. I almost want him to do it so I can laugh at him.

• Like 3

Do you know someone that is always right. And you cant get a valid point across. He didnt listen to me initially and has a KX100 that he doesnt want. Now has a great bike he doesnt like because he feels its to big. That monster truck with the small wheels is funny. Maybe after he sees these post it might change his mind. I almost want him to do it so I can laugh at him.

If he does, post some pics so we can all get a good chuckle
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Smoking 2's said:

Ever rode a bike and hit the smallest of rocks and tire washes out, now shrink that tire, hella lot worse! Bad ideal.

Nope.

If one of my friends would of come up with some stupid idea like that I would of just told him it sounds like a great idea. It would just be to dam funny to pass up!

6 hours ago, DEMI said:

I would love to see the monster truck without It's monster truck wheels/tires equivalent for a dirt bike. Tell him to go for it.

download (1).jpg

I 2nd that for our own amusement ??

I doubt either of you are as short as I am. One of the main reasons that I deal with a larger bike, and spent the money to lower it, is because I hate the small wheels of my 100. Why the heck would you want to undo one of the best advantages of the bigger bikes?!!

11 hours ago, Bron-Yr-Aur said:

I doubt either of you are as short as I am. One of the main reasons that I deal with a larger bike, and spent the money to lower it, is because I hate the small wheels of my 100. Why the heck would you want to undo one of the best advantages of the bigger bikes?!!

I'm very short,5'3ish and my buddy is even shorter by an inch or two. Dont get me wrong the KX100 fits me like a glove. But other than fitting me there's no other good points for a 200lbs guy. Ever since I got off my 1984 KDX80 all my bikes been to tall for me. I deal with what God gave me and do to the bike what can be done. I will not go past the 2inch lowering since I believe that it starts to take away from the bike. The 2inch plus shaving the seat isnt that bad. Only in sticky situations when not being able to touch with both feet f--ks me. 

Edited by STR8SHOOTR

Wow that's surprising. In nearly 50 years on this earth, I've only come across maybe 3 guys shorter than me. Its more common in other countries, like in central america. I'm 5'3" too (well, just a fuzz under) and I love my 100. But I can't imagine going back to it due to the wheel size and (lack of) bottom end grunt.

On 5/6/2017 at 10:06 AM, Bron-Yr-Aur said:

Wow that's surprising. In nearly 50 years on this earth, I've only come across maybe 3 guys shorter than me. Its more common in other countries, like in central america. I'm 5'3" too (well, just a fuzz under) and I love my 100. But I can't imagine going back to it due to the wheel size and (lack of) bottom end grunt.

Yeah I hear you, I heard every short joke growing up. It was tough in elementary school. Lucky I was a tough kid and didnt let it bother me. Theres only been a few friends shorter than me.  Dont get me wrong. I like riding my buddies KX but for short spurts. I love my KTM300. I have it dialed in for me. A few more inches of leg would be nice. But thats not going to happen.LOL

Edited by STR8SHOOTR