Hey Guys, 

This is my first time posting in this section of forum.  I was looking for some advise/insight from KTM owners.

Background: 

I currently ride a 2006 plated CRF450x.  I mostly use this bike to ride to some local trails (I live in Columbia, SC) and to zip around town occasional.  I have it geared 13/48 and cruise at 45 mph when I'm on the road.  If I'm riding more than about 30 minutes from my house, I trailer the bike to the riding area. I ride trails moderately aggressively, as I am fairly inexperienced. I don't race or ride motocross. I've ridden on a track maybe twice.  I currently have Kenda K270 tires on the front and rear.  The bike has an FMF 4.1 full system (done by previous owner)  The only mods I have done are opened up air box, re-jet the carb, finger adjustable fuel screw, and No Toil cageless air filter (b/c it easier to get in and out and the notoil oil makes for easy cleaning)

I change the engine oil at maximum interval of 8 hours, and the transmission oil and oil filter at a maximum interval of 16 hours.  I clean the air filter every 2 or 3 rides, depending on how dirty it is (its not too dusty were I ride).  The CRF has about 175 hours on it, and it has yet to need a valve adjustment.  I checked them recently and one intake was about 0.0005" off nominal. 

I like the bike, but in doing some research, I think a KTM 450 might be a better bike for my type of riding.  I like the idea of sixth gear, so I can be geared low for the trails but still do (hopefully) 55 mph on the road for sustained periods.  I found a plated 2010 XC-W 450 on craigslist in Orlando that I'm interested in.  It has 44.2 hours and 1890 miles (mostly street) on it.  It comes with dirt wheels and tires as well as 17" supermoto wheels and  tires. 

So hear is my question: Is the KTM more reliable/better for light dual sport/supermoto use than the CRF 450? I'm not worried about on-road comfort, I don't ride for long periods and I'll just change the seat if it gets annoying.  Basically I just want something that will go a longer between major services intervals.  Like with the CRF, I'm not planing on any interstate riding. If I'm going to ride off road more than 20 miles from my house, I'll haul the bike there rather than ride it. 

Any advice/tips/comments would be appreciated. 

Well, I have a 2010 450XCW and it has been super reliable so far.
I just bought it recently.
Last Fall 2016.
I've done some work to it.
It was in great condition.
It had similar hours like the one you are eyeing.
45hrs is mega low for that year bike.
My bike had 79hrs on it and I thought that was low.
Mileage was also very close to yours, 1800mi on my bike at purchase.
I'm in Oregon and bought the bike eastern WA.
I realize regions vary on cost for resale but I paid $5500.00 for my 2010.
I immediately did a lot of maintenance to it.
It needed new Hiem bearings (lower shock mount) and new upper shock mount bearings.
There was play.
Easy DIY stuff.
The suspension feels great. Super adjustable.
I changed the engine and gear case oil. Same oil just slightly different levels.
I put in new filter screens all around.
Brakes working great and have super good feel.
Installed a Baja Designs Fender Tag holder kit with mini flush LED turn signal and taillight in rear.
It needed a new inner fender or airbox fender.
New Baja Designs Squadron PRO LED headlight.
I locktited almost every bolt, replaced a few as well.
It had a badly dented header pipe and I installed a full system FMF 4.1 carbon titanium power bomb.
It gave it a much better sound and noticeably more horses in the midrange and low end. It also had 13/48 with a an aluminum rear sprocket which was eaten up and the front sprocket original steel was badly bent in the teeth and the Dome washer was toast.
I installed Supersprox steel 13/52 (stock factory) and a new DID 520 Enduro thin chain (factory).
I installed a new front sprocket bolt and DirtTricks dome washer.
Also replaced the original lead acid battery with a Shorai Li-Iron.

Other than that it didn't need a thing.
It has been running like a top!
Quick instant starts on steep climbs in tight single track is heaven. Although it starts single kick all the time.
It was also previously jetted with a JD kit and the PO had it tuned well.
I haven't had to touch a thing as far as carb goes.
Not even with new full exhaust.
Original wheels in great shape.
Original plastics too.
Sure I bought a new decal graphics set to make it my own.
I love it. It's the heaviest bike I have ever owned but then again it's my first thumper!
It doesn't ride heavy if you know what I mean.

Sorry, I also meant to say, I rip right out of my dirt drive onto the highway and a few miles down the road to get to my riding areas.
East or west a few miles til forest road and another mile to dirt single track.
It rides great on road too.
Sure has been reliable so far for me.
About 20hrs on it since I bought it

the reliability comes from the factory, Honda and KTM are 2 of the best. the owner decides to maintain the bike or not and if not serviced properly then reliability goes down.

things that make me not buy bikes are ; high mileage, sand use, submersion, and not doing regular service.

NitroHvy:  Thank you for your input.  The one I'm looking at is 5800, including both sets of wheels and tires.  I'm sure I could get if for less (maybe like 5200)

Airboss: 

1 hour ago, Airboss/oc said:

the reliability comes from the factory, Honda and KTM are 2 of the best. the owner decides to maintain the bike or not and if not serviced properly then reliability goes down.

Yes, I agree with all this. Let me rephrase my question: With regular maintenance, would the KTM go longer between rebuilds than the CRF, if ridden in the same conditions, at about the same speeds and rpm's

Edited by Tim_Hatmenn

KTM quality is second to none ! I have owned many brands but never had a KTM fail yet so if you want the latest and greatest get a '17 500 with all the street goodies weighs as much as a Japanese 450 MXr without e start