Freshly rebuilt 07 only starts with hot start and choke open.

Hi all,

I have spent a moderate part of the winter and spring bringing back an 07 250f from the dead. Anyway it got pretty much new everything and it's timed. It started first kick no problem and I am feeling accomplished due to the results. I have began the break-in period where I did 3 sitting idles for 10 mins. I began to go through the actual riding phase but I am encountering the problem stated in the title. The bike will open start with the throttle wide open, hot start open and choke on. While twisting the throttle it gets no power on the quarter throttle turn. I can let off the throttle and it will continue running. As soon as I let off the hot start it just dies instantly. Now I have it set to stock setting at 1.75 with the air screw at sea level. Now the bike was running fine and when I did the idling stages of the break-in I could blip it all day long and it felt/sounded amazing. Now I have no power. I am at a loss. Thanks!

Haha funny I just went through the same thing
After the third full tear down and cleaning it finally worked as it should
What pilot are you running?

3 hours ago, Christofehrzy said:

Haha funny I just went through the same thing
After the third full tear down and cleaning it finally worked as it should
What pilot are you running?

Thanks for the reply. I am currently running a 40 pilot. I have been doing some research and just ordered a 42. Strange thing is that almost suspect that the pilot is either fallen lose or is clogged. It's just so strange it was running fine in the warm temp and just went downhill. The only reason I mention the pilot possibly falling out is that last year I had the same bike that I bought of someone for an insane deal. They said it wasn't idling and bam the pilot was sitting in the bowl...sold it for triple its value.

Well hey the pilot missing would cause a really rich condition... that's one hell of a good flip lol

But on the other hand a 40 is pretty small.. I run a 42 in the summer and even throw a 45 in for anything colder

I'm pulling the carb today and doing a thorough cleaning again. I suspect that crap came loose after being run for the first time in years it seems and probably sediment in there. Changing the gas/cleaning the tank better. Gonna try to source a 42 locally as well to have it quicker. I'm getting impatient but with all the rain there's no riding anyway up here for now :/

I'm pretty confident that you're gonna be sitting good after a good cleaning
Here in southern Ontario we're getting pummelled with rain too and it's killing me that I can't go ride

There's so many things that can change that
Start at like 2 turns out on the mixture screw and dial it in from there

• Like 1