WR250f to yz250 2-stroke?

So here's my situation... I bought a 2004 wr250f last year and converted it to be street legal. After riding this past year on and off road, I have decided that I really don't care about having a dual sport anymore, because riding on the road is sketchy as &%$#@!. I love the bike, it's great for the riding I do, which is entirely trails these days, but the bike feels heavy and slow... 

Ive been really interested lately in buying a 2005+ yz250 2stroke for the snappy power, light agility, the ease of raising the front tire with throttle, as well as just trying something new, as the WR was my first bike.

If I did buy a yz250, I would add a heavy flywheel weight (11oz) and possibly drop a tooth on the front sprocket, maybe even get a rekluse at some point, because I ride pretty technical, steep, wooded trails out here in the PNW.

What differences would I notice between the two? Would a 2T be suitable for my riding? What else should I know or consider? I have ridden my friends 2013 KTM 250xc and had never had so much fun on a dirt bike...

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

The 250 would feel somewhat similar to a four stroke down low depending on your pipe, but it's a helluva lot quicker it seems.

You can't really go wrong since imo, everything is cheap and easy to work on as long as you get a relatively nice bike.

I haven't ridden mine in open sand pits yet, but it hooks up and has so much torque down low on a stock '05.

The 250 would feel somewhat similar to a four stroke down low depending on your pipe, but it's a helluva lot quicker it seems.
You can't really go wrong since imo, everything is cheap and easy to work on as long as you get a relatively nice bike.
I haven't ridden mine in open sand pits yet, but it hooks up and has so much torque down low on a stock '05.

I have an 07 with a hinson clutch, fmf fatty and powercore exhaust and v-force 3 reeds. I can't seem to remember what size sprockets are on it rite now but she is an animal. I ride mostly mx and I can come out of turns in 3rd gear going slower then I feel I should be for 3rd and it will pull right up to the powerband with ease (with some clutch play involved of course.) And on the straights I have pulled on pleanty of 450s. I'm it's a perfect all-around bike. Pleanty of grunt to pull up hills and to get through tight terrain and tons of top end to blow by your buddies.

19 hours ago, 2strokebrapp said:

I have an 07 with a hinson clutch, fmf fatty and powercore exhaust and v-force 3 reeds. I can't seem to remember what size sprockets are on it rite now but she is an animal. I ride mostly mx and I can come out of turns in 3rd gear going slower then I feel I should be for 3rd and it will pull right up to the powerband with ease (with some clutch play involved of course.) And on the straights I have pulled on pleanty of 450s. I'm it's a perfect all-around bike. Pleanty of grunt to pull up hills and to get through tight terrain and tons of top end to blow by your buddies.

I can't wait to actually ride mine tomorrow :ride:

How do you like the FMF Fatty? I got mine with the full PC Platinum on it and it seems pretty good down low, but kinda flat up top.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like you need a 96-97 WR250Z. Last year of the 2-stroke. Seems like right when Yamaha perfected the 2-stroke WR, they switched to the 4-stroke, with controversial results.  But, for you, no need for the flywheel change. You may not even need a countershaft sprocket change.... Either way, you'll be astounded at the difference in power between the WR250Z and what you have been riding.  The suspension is not that bad stock, but most have been tricked out to a more modern standard with KYBs, or the other many suspension aftermarket mods.  The 97 WR250Z is pretty much the Holy Grail of that type of bike.  If you look thru the pages of this forum, you will find a lot of testimony to that fact.  Try one out, if you can find one.  They are not often found for sale. Owners don't want to part with them.  You can turn it into a competitive motocrosser by cutting one grey wire.   Pretty cool.

paul

21 minutes ago, paulmc5121 said:

Sounds like you need a 96-97 WR250Z. Last year of the 2-stroke. Seems like right when Yamaha perfected the 2-stroke WR, they switched to the 4-stroke, with controversial results.  But, for you, no need for the flywheel change. You may not even need a countershaft sprocket change.... Either way, you'll be astounded at the difference in power between the WR250Z and what you have been riding.  The suspension is not that bad stock, but most have been tricked out to a more modern standard with KYBs, or the other many suspension aftermarket mods.  The 97 WR250Z is pretty much the Holy Grail of that type of bike.  If you look thru the pages of this forum, you will find a lot of testimony to that fact.  Try one out, if you can find one.  They are not often found for sale. Owners don't want to part with them.  You can turn it into a competitive motocrosser by cutting one grey wire.   Pretty cool.

paul

Pretty well summarizes how I feel about my 1997 wr250z, but I don't ride it as my main bike anymore. I've got a modern yz because parts are more available and cheaper. 

20170120_114739.jpg.3a544b4671ec6175f50945c6d000dd49.jpg

I have to say the modern yz handles better, has more useable midrange power, and by far has better ergonomics. 

IMG_0466.JPG.bbf3909f137274becc79cc4d82e0456e.JPG

Yep, The suspension is the definite x-factor on this older bike.  Having the suspension completely reconfigured with more modern components certainly makes a big difference, and that wasn't cheap.  But that way I could keep the power plant, which is the best part of that bike.  I wonder what a stock WR suspension from 1997 feels like?  Mushy, bottoming, vague front end steer...?

Lucky for me, I don't get that.  But it didn't come free.  Still, a great bike, worth mentioning.  Still fast by today's standards. 

Paul