Exhaust glowing after Acerbis tank install

hello fellow riders I have a little bit of a question and concern. I just purchased a new 2017 DR650, and just blew a fortune on some goodies for it. I bought the bike mainly to commute to work (about a 100 mile round trip) in south Texas. One of the mods, of course, was an Acerbis 5.3 gallon fuel tank. I used the petcock that came with the tank, and removed the vacuum line off of the carb that went to the stock petcock, and put one of those rubber vacuum line caps over the nipple on top of the carb. One thing I'll say, is I had some old, maybe year old gas, that was in the fuel station of my toy hauler, and I put about 2 gallons in the tank, along with some good gas out of my stock tank, maybe 1 gallon at the most.  

I cranked the bike up tonight, to make sure the OFF on the petcock was working properly, I let it choke the bike out twice, and then cranked it and let it run some more to make sure the petcock wasn't leaking.  

I noticed the header glowing cherry red, so I shut the bike down. I did a little googling and the internet said it is normal, especially at idle. Well I hopped on the bike to run to the gas station and top it off with some good premium gas. The header was still glowing a little, even all the way back as far as where my right leg is near the exhaust at the heat shield. When I was on an open road, it wasn't as bad, but was certainly there.  

Another thing, I have a little over 300 miles on the bike now, and I drive it to work and get to work when it's still dark out, and haven't noticed this before.  

Could this have anything to do with the cap I put on the vacuum line, and/or that old fuel? I know gas gets old, why I tried not to use much of it, but could that cause it to run that lean? I drive to work doing about 75-85 according to the speedometer, for about 30-40 minutes straight, and haven't noticed the glowing header until after the tank install. Please help, or reassure me that I'm worrying over nothing. Thanks friends.

It's possible that some of that bad gas might have plugged the carb in some way.  You might get lucky and try some carb cleaner that gets added directly into the gas, then go for a ride.  Other wise you may have to pull the carb and manually clean it out.

It is worth your effort to buy a jet kit for this bike because there's a lot of untapped power just by opening up the air box, re-jetting the carb and grinding the inside of the header flange (by the head).

On 2017-05-05 at 7:51 PM, SuperMims said:

hello fellow riders I have a little bit of a question and concern. I just purchased a new 2017 DR650, and just blew a fortune on some goodies for it. I bought the bike mainly to commute to work (about a 100 mile round trip) in south Texas. One of the mods, of course, was an Acerbis 5.3 gallon fuel tank. I used the petcock that came with the tank, and removed the vacuum line off of the carb that went to the stock petcock, and put one of those rubber vacuum line caps over the nipple on top of the carb. One thing I'll say, is I had some old, maybe year old gas, that was in the fuel station of my toy hauler, and I put about 2 gallons in the tank, along with some good gas out of my stock tank, maybe 1 gallon at the most.  

I cranked the bike up tonight, to make sure the OFF on the petcock was working properly, I let it choke the bike out twice, and then cranked it and let it run some more to make sure the petcock wasn't leaking.  

I noticed the header glowing cherry red, so I shut the bike down. I did a little googling and the internet said it is normal, especially at idle. Well I hopped on the bike to run to the gas station and top it off with some good premium gas. The header was still glowing a little, even all the way back as far as where my right leg is near the exhaust at the heat shield. When I was on an open road, it wasn't as bad, but was certainly there.  

Another thing, I have a little over 300 miles on the bike now, and I drive it to work and get to work when it's still dark out, and haven't noticed this before.  

Could this have anything to do with the cap I put on the vacuum line, and/or that old fuel? I know gas gets old, why I tried not to use much of it, but could that cause it to run that lean? I drive to work doing about 75-85 according to the speedometer, for about 30-40 minutes straight, and haven't noticed the glowing header until after the tank install. Please help, or reassure me that I'm worrying over nothing. Thanks friends.

I would think zig06 is correct with a possible blockage and it's running lean. My bike has never glowed red and I've got 10000 miles on it.