Jump to content

Mousse mounting challenge

Recommended Posts

I have video proof, I don't know if it's a record or I'm slow.. 21 inch mousse mounted in 4 and a half minutes. Used only 3 spoons and a bucket. Used the rimm lock too
I haven't done one for a year
How long does it take you?


need video to teach young warrior the way of the mouse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15min. - three hours. amounts of knuckle bleeding varies

Edited by bordsmnj
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what brand mousse are you using?
i'm going in that direction since i seem to find the sharpest object to ride over.
the Goldentyre mousse looks good as well as the Nuetech mousse (tubliss people).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, the Riddler. said:

I have video proof, I don't know if it's a record or I'm slow.. 21 inch mousse mounted in 4 and a half minutes. Used only 3 spoons and a bucket. Used the rimm lock too

I haven't done one for a year

How long does it take you?

From bike on the stand to off the stand tire changes take me 20-30 minutes in the garage and about the same on the trail. I no longer race so a mousse is a waste of money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, the Riddler. said:

I have video proof, I don't know if it's a record or I'm slow.. 21 inch mousse mounted in 4 and a half minutes. Used only 3 spoons and a bucket. Used the rimm lock too

I haven't done one for a year

How long does it take you?

I don't believe it, proof needs to be uploaded. Takes me 5 minutes just to get the spoons out of my bag.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what is wrong with everyone worried about flats? Doesn't anyone use zip ties anymore to complete their ride? IMO there is no reason whatsoever to use a mousse unless you are racing and can't afford a DNF. Otherwise just zip tie the damn thing opposite of rim lock or run two rim locks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RAZR_ said:

what brand mousse are you using?
i'm going in that direction since i seem to find the sharpest object to ride over.
the Goldentyre mousse looks good as well as the Nuetech mousse (tubliss people).

OK, you might be the exception. Seeing as you have a few BBR hard ways under your belt. I don't think 2 rim locks or zip ties would work on those trails!! LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought tubeliss was the way to go... specially in Donkyland territory.

Don't they say rhe mousse is the equivalent of 15 psi?

Will that work with those sandy climbs?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't think of mousses as a single PSI equivalent.  Unlike a tube, air can't be pushed out of the impact zone.  It's progressive.  Every brand is it's own science... but in general think of it like the traction of a 6-8 psi...  the cornering of 12 psi...  and the impact resistance of 16 or more psi.

Tire brands vary in size...  mousse brands vary in chemistry and feel...  so how well a mousse fits YOUR tire makes a difference...  etc

Edited by Jeff aka Bolt
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

Can't think of mousses as a single PSI equivalent.  Unlike a tube, air can't be pushed out of the impact zone.  It's progressive.  Every brand is it's own science... but in general think of it like the traction of a 6-8 psi...  the cornering of 12 psi...  and the impact resistance of 16 or more psi.

Tire brands vary in size...  mousse brands vary in chemistry and feel...  so how well a mousse fits YOUR tire makes a difference...  etc

Thanks for confusing the piss outta me. Sounds like a guessing game? I'll stick with my extra heavy duty tubes in the front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YZ Yankee said:

Thought tubeliss was the way to go... specially in Donkyland territory.

Don't they say rhe mousse is the equivalent of 15 psi?

Will that work with those sandy climbs?

hes talking about the front tire dude..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well maybe this helps with clarity...  Michelin has been the standard because at $124.95 retail it is $30-60 cheaper than Pirelli, Goldentyre and others.  But Michelin was sized for Michelin tires which in many cases are not the same as other tire brands....  and they say so.  

The new Nitromousse made by the Tubliss guys was developed with certain goals/principles in mind.

  • Longest wearing mousse on the market...  because the biggest issue with mousses is short life.
  • Better more lively feel than other "dead feeling" mousse products...  better feedback from your tire and suspension
  • More sizes to fit your tires properly
  • Develop & provide a tire chart so you know which Nitromousse will fit YOUR tire brand properly...  
    Example: Kenda Parker 110/100-18 needs a 100/100-18 mousse because Kendas run small
  • And FINALLY...  Match the low price point of Michelin while providing superior performance and value on every level.

This is why even though I am a HUGE Goldentyre fan...  and can get Michelin at the same killer price as Nitromousse...   I lead with Nitromousse every time.

I know I sound a bit biased and like a commercial...  but ask the guys using them what they think... cause I believe Tubliss knocked it out of the park on their Nitromousse.  

Jason (bordsmnj) has been running them for a awhile now...  you can pick his brain about it.  Riddler just picked one up...  he's used Michelin and can provide a good comparison soon.  Speedy who has raced every brand mousse has or will be tearing up Havasu on them and will be able to provide honest feedback. :thumbsup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×