2016 300exc starting issues

Hi all,
Issues with starting my bike using the elec button.
Bike = 2016 300exc
Hrs = 32
Issue = I can hold the button down (cold or hot, if its cold i have choke on etc), and bike will take forever to fire. It will eventually start but only when the battery is about to give up. Even when the bike is very hot and has been running fine, i can kill it, press the button again and i have to try 4-5 times with 4-5sec bursts each before it fires. No back fireing, no spluttering, its like im holding the kill switch down and all of a sudden it will go.
Other info-
- Bike runs 100% fine when running, band engaging etc. Did 100hrs last weekend with this issue and nothing wrong when bike is running.
- battery is reading 12 volts
- have taken battery out and cleaned all terminals
- have put new fuel in (50:1) alot of oil i know but i have run this in KTM 2strokes for +10 years with no issue
- have put new plug in
- have taken carby off and cleaned out with cleaner and air compressor

Here is the really weird thing however, if i am in the middle of trying to start the bike with the button, if i try and use the kick starter, it will fire more or less on the first time and start fine...

What else should i been looking into guys??

All/any help appreciated.
James

Edited by James Gregory

Clean the bike as good as you can. Remove all the air box and intake tube to the carb. LEAVE THE CARB ON. get a 2stroke gas soaked and rag and firmly hold it in one hand over the carb and start the bike. If it starts easy its prolly a choke problem. I assume the bike starts easy while kicking or bumping cold? What does your getting look like?  Does this bike have a crank sensor?

12 volts is not enough. Using the kickstarter turns the engine over faster than the electric starter when it's only getting 12 volts.

A battery needs to show and hold at least 12.6 volts / 2.1 volts per cell to be considered any good. A new battery will consistently show and hold 13 or a little more. I'd try a battery that's in better condition before dismissing a low battery possibility. An extra volt can make all the difference in instantly lighting off that engine.

I have a 2013 Husaberg TE 300, first day out of this year, road 17.8 Kim's and died!!  Checked spark plug with a new one.  Still no spark. Load bike on truck. Took it back to my garage.   I don't have a service manual , I have a fluke voltmeter, I don't know how to check for bad coils or stator. Any tips from you guys?

3 hours ago, Shane MacPherson said:

I have a 2013 Husaberg TE 300, first day out of this year, road 17.8 Kim's and died!!  Checked spark plug with a new one.  Still no spark. Load bike on truck. Took it back to my garage.   I don't have a service manual  , I have a fluke voltmeter, I don't know how to check for bad coils or stator. Any tips from you guys?

Start your own thread. You'll get more replies if you don't piggy back on someone elses.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2017 at 10:15 PM, James Gregory said:

Hi all,
Issues with starting my bike using the elec button.
Bike = 2016 300exc
Hrs = 32
Issue = I can hold the button down (cold or hot, if its cold i have choke on etc), and bike will take forever to fire. It will eventually start but only when the battery is about to give up. Even when the bike is very hot and has been running fine, i can kill it, press the button again and i have to try 4-5 times with 4-5sec bursts each before it fires. No back fireing, no spluttering, its like im holding the kill switch down and all of a sudden it will go.
Other info-
- Bike runs 100% fine when running, band engaging etc. Did 100hrs last weekend with this issue and nothing wrong when bike is running.
- battery is reading 12 volts
- have taken battery out and cleaned all terminals
- have put new fuel in (50:1) alot of oil i know but i have run this in KTM 2strokes for +10 years with no issue
- have put new plug in
- have taken carby off and cleaned out with cleaner and air compressor

Here is the really weird thing however, if i am in the middle of trying to start the bike with the button, if i try and use the kick starter, it will fire more or less on the first time and start fine...

What else should i been looking into guys??

All/any help appreciated.
James

sounds like an issue with the Bendix gear not engaging the flywheel fully.

I thought this issue was figured out by model year 2016, but I just went through something similar where I got the slavens kit on my 2013 250 XC to upgrade the gear ratio on my bend and crown wheel assembly as the bend would not fully retract.  I was getting an issue where I would kick start the bike and I could feel the bendix still attached to the flywheel.  

Id start there with a clean and lube of the components under the ignition cover. 

'16 and earlier 300s are famous for killing electric starters, usually the bendix. Remember, KTM calls it a "restarter" and tells you to use the kick starter the first time of the day. E-start only to restart it. Jeff Slavens has a YouTube video about fixing it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pat22043 said:

, KTM calls it a "restarter" and tells you to use the kick starter the first time of the day. E-start only to restart it. 

this