2011 300 vs 2017 300 weight

For those who are curious the 2017 bikes are ~10 lbs lighter depending on model

I have a pallet scale at my work and we weigh as many bikes as we can

My buddy has a 2017 Husky TX300.  It has bib mouses, BPD radiator guards, P3 carbon pipe guard, stock plastic roost guards and SxS skidplate w/linkage guard.  With 2 gallons of fuel in the tank it was 239 lbs.  So figure 242 lbs with a full tank.

My 2011 300 XC(PDS) has an aluminum skid plate, Cycra CRM bark busters, Scotts stabilizer, fan, Wps lithium battery, Ultra heavy tubes, PC pipe w/P3 pipe guard, FMF shorty muffler and a full 2.6 gallon tank is 249 lbs.  

IMG_20170503_114225952-1002x1336.jpg

IMG_20170505_132003946-1002x1336.jpg

Edited by GlennE
  • Like 2

I know my 250 feels like a mountain bike when I push it across the yard sometimes. Feels a ton lighter than my old 08. 

• Like 1

I weighed my 17 250xc. 239 lbs , full tank, skid plate and hand guards. While riding bike feels like my 13 150sx that's 12lbs lighter.

Just weighed my 2010 300xc  the other day, 258 lbs.    w/ 9L  gas (4/5 full)   custom pipe gaurd (4 lbs?)     Alum. skid plate,  Cycra bark busters, XCW tail light /fender extension,  Works connection rad guards, coolant catch bottle, fat tires (120/100 Shinko 505 out back is very heavy),  Tubliss front and rear.  MSR rear disc guard. Rekluse clutch (must weigh extra over stock?),  remote rear brake lever on bars but also retain stock pedal.

I would like to switch to Tubliss.  That saves about 5 lbs over the Ultra Heavy Michelin tubes.  Probably next on my list.

Already ordered the plastic skidplate.  Not a fan of the aluminum, it catches rocks and logs.

My buddy loves his 2017.  He had a 2012 300 XC-W prior.

I'm not so sure I'm sold on the 2017.  Not a fan of the Mikuni carb, reed issues, stator wire issues, low compression and I'm torn on the air fork.  I like the plush feel and how it stays up in the stroke.  Plus the 3-4 lb weight savings is nice.  However, when the seals blow the fork sticks collapsed.  Seals do not like the cold at all and I like to ride in the snow with studs.  Just had a friend get badly hurt when the forks collapsed on him at high speed.

I may stick with my 2011 for a while

• Like 1

I have a 2015 and a 2017. The 17 feels way lighter to ride and push around. I'm thinking the engineers did a good job of lowering the weight

• Like 1

On 5/6/2017 at 3:36 PM, GlennE said:

Just had a friend get badly hurt when the forks collapsed on him at high speed.

So KTM designed a bike that seriously hurts you when a fork seal goes???

No that's not true. The forks have a internal bladder, or seal within a seal. 

A few years ago there was an incident regarding a air fork collapsing but this was earlier in the development.  They are totally different design now

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sandking11 said:

No that's not true. The forks have a internal bladder, or seal within a seal. 

A few years ago there was an incident regarding a air fork collapsing but this was earlier in the development.  They are totally different design now

Lol

All the Timbersled guys are forced to put spring conversion kits in.  The forks fail almost immediately and stick collapsed

Dirt failures are less common but do happen

My riding buddy just had the forks reworked by one of the top suspension tuners out there and they failed.  It's possible they damaged something but no one has found a fix for the snowbikers.  

Maybe someone will find a fix eventually

I don't personally ride when it's that cold. When we were riding this winter temps in the UK were around freezing and I don't know anyone else who's had a failure at those temps.

It's sort of only half a story. The forks are designed to be a motorbike,  not a sledge, needing much more PSI in them. Also from what I read on the ktmtalk forum the trick is to use nitrogen to fill the air bladder. 

As soon as it's cold enough for condensation you have a problem. 

Look at it another way......

Majority of riders don't have overheating issues, but if your riding slow technical stuff in Texas in the height of summer it's going to overheat unless you fit a fan kit.

Normal riders and normal working parameters these bikes are very good. The air fork just wasn't designed for such low temperatures and a to be a snowbike. 

I would like to switch to Tubliss.  That saves about 5 lbs over the Ultra Heavy Michelin tubes.  Probably next on my list.
Already ordered the plastic skidplate.  Not a fan of the aluminum, it catches rocks and logs.
My buddy loves his 2017.  He had a 2012 300 XC-W prior.
I'm not so sure I'm sold on the 2017.  Not a fan of the Mikuni carb, reed issues, stator wire issues, low compression and I'm torn on the air fork.  I like the plush feel and how it stays up in the stroke.  Plus the 3-4 lb weight savings is nice.  However, when the seals blow the fork sticks collapsed.  Seals do not like the cold at all and I like to ride in the snow with studs.  Just had a friend get badly hurt when the forks collapsed on him at high speed.
I may stick with my 2011 for a while

I'm with you. My 2016 stays because it's 100% perfect, thanks to kyb that includes the suspension department