Pitster Pro Sherpa 125 - starting problem

Just got Sherpa 125, brand new in crate.

Assembled and ran fine.  

Now cant start her.

Starts for just a second and stalls, then just cranks.  

Have tried with and without choke.  

Kickstand up, key in run, kill switch in on position, fuel valves in on position.

I feel I must be missing something simple.  Any suggestions?

ps.  When it was running I love this little bike!

Check the basics. Does it have spark when it refuses to start? Have you checked the valve lash? That's always an issue on Chinese pitbike engines, IMO. How is the fuel flow to the carb, and have you looked for debris in the carb? Any chance that this has a vacuum operated petcock or fuel pump? I've seen those malfunction on scooters.

Thanks HappyAndy. Appreciate the response. 

It does start for a second then dies. Then never catches again. So must have at least  initial spark.  

What is a valve lash?

Can't see how to get to carb.  Bike came with fairly basic instructions.  Not bad but basic.  

Also - see attached one of two fuel petcocks.  Weird symbols.  Not sure now which is on and off.  Any thoughts.   

Thanks.  

TJ  

IMG_8433.JPG

I would try removing the fuel line from the petcock with the ON/OFF switch as pictured above, and see if fuel runs out of the tank. If it does, that's the ON position, quickly switch it over to the other position and see if the fuel shuts off.

• Like 1

Thanks dirtbkr188.  Tried your suggestion.  No joy.

I will be calling the dealer tomorrow.

The petcock worked as it should, or you weren't able to get fuel to run out of it at all? If you haven't done so, lean down and open the fuel cap, and listen closely to see if you can hear it hiss, like releasing pressure when you open a new bottle of soda. Sometimes, if the fuel cap isn't venting properly, it creates a "vapor lock" of sorts, and will not allow the fuel to flow from the tank, and pressurizes the tank. If it does hiss, leave the cap off and then try to start it.

Of course, if it is still under warranty, taking it back to the dealer is the thing to do.

Keep us updated

Blow on the fuel line to see if it's plugged going into the tank.  I've had issues with crap in the tank with my china bikes.  In fact on should flush a new tank anyway.