450 excr pulsing headlight/taillight

Please help guys...Trying to sort out issues with headlight and taillight flickers, dimming, pulsating especially when riding off throttle.Just got older 08 450 excr and not too familiar with ktm. Is this common for my model bike. What might be the prob. Will get better headlight but first do I get a new or upgraded stator? Magneto? Not sure. For now night riding is a no go and I got the itch to go vroom vroom

First thing I would do is the easy stuff.

Make sure you have a good battery...not just fully charged...but one you know is actually holding the charge.  You can test for this yourself with a multi meter and monitoring your battery while e-starting it....or borrow a known good battery.

Also I would make sure my idle is high enough.  A really low idle and poor battery could be your issue.

If this doesn't help, it gets more complicated and expensive....regulator/rectifier.....stator/rotor etc.  Assuming your bike is stock in terms of its electrical requirements...ie no additional load demand (heated grips..big headlight etc) has been added...then your stator and rotor should have enough capacity...unless they are actually starting to fail.

I had the opposite problem with an old WR450 years ago...every light bulb would burn up once I revved it up a fair bit...replaced the regulator and all my problems disappeared.

My .02 cents

Edited by travertt
  • Like 1

Start by checking your connections, especially the ground connections. Battery to frame and engine bolts to frame are important. It can still crank the starter & cause electrical lighting issues if they aren't clean & tight.

• Like 1