06 rmz450 very hard to find neutral

Before dislocating my shoulder on Thursday (that's what i get for trying to keep up with guys much better then myself) it was super hard to find neutral- running or not. Usually it'd easier to go from 2nd but nothing near what it should be. I've read it's worn clutch baskets but maybe it's something deeper... Any ideas?

Well it looks like the previous owner forgot to install the wave washer and seat. It's probably causing the clutch to slightly engage making neutral harder to find. 

• Like 1

Gotta love used bikes! For your sake, I'm glad it was just a washer. The 4 speed trans in the 05-07 is about as bulletproof as you can get.

It should actually get better with the judder spring (wavy washer) removed. The only thing that spring does is cut down on clutch noise. I would bet your first assumption will lead you to the answer you are looking for. You need a new clutch pack. Measure it and see if it is still in spec. Most of the aftermarket clutch systems ditch it for a reason. The spring does nothing but create drag.

Edited by BDubb106
  • Like 1

I also have the problem of finding neutral on the 06 I recently purchased. Finding it is difficult and I have found I just barely need to touch the shift lever to get to neutral.

On 5/11/2017 at 6:49 AM, BDubb106 said:

It should actually get better with the judder spring (wavy washer) removed. The only thing that spring does is cut down on clutch noise. I would bet your first assumption will lead you to the answer you are looking for. You need a new clutch pack. Measure it and see if it is still in spec. Most of the aftermarket clutch systems ditch it for a reason. The spring does nothing but create drag.

So is taking the wavy washer out going to help me? If so where is it located? I can take a look next time I go to do an oil change.

4 hours ago, TwistedRutt said:

I also have the problem of finding neutral on the 06 I recently purchased. Finding it is difficult and I have found I just barely need to touch the shift lever  to get to neutral.

So is taking the wavy washer out going to help me? If so where is it located? I can take a look next time I go to do an oil change.

It may... but not if parts of the clutch are worn past spec or anything is warped. Part # 12-13 in the parts fiche, under the clutch pack. Lots of RMZ owners no longer running them. 

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/oem.php?partcategory=778385&manufacturer=5&category=5&year=2006&model=27201

On 5/11/2017 at 3:49 AM, BDubb106 said:

I just put in a new a new clutch pack and I've got a new inner clutch basket waiting to go in as well. The outer was typical worn and I did the file trick until I absolutely need to replace. Thanks for the input again! 

Edited by Jon Broadbent
  • Like 1

My 06 is about the same, it's seems to be common with 05-07, it was complained about in Motocross actions review in 06. It's a bug but I can tolerate it.