klr650 found rubber and a washer in the oil pan

2000 klr650 28k

i did the doohickey as it was broken, part of it was missing so i took off the ride side of the case and went fishing in the oil pan, i found the broken piece but also found a washer/spacer, when i changed the oil a lot of rubber/gasket material chunks came out too. anyone know what this is or belongs to? do i need to remove the crank case or is this somehow ok. i was thinking of getting a snake camera to investigate 

I sure wish I could see the picture.  I use one of those milwaukee snake cameras a lot,  but there are ones like ryobi that are less expensive and work as well.

I can't speak specifically for the KLR, but I have seen rubber bits come out in the oil on other bike engines that had a rubber valve cover gasket installed wrong and chewed up by the timing chain. 

The two things that I'd do in this case, first check the parts drawings to see what parts they might be. Second, I'd remove the valve cover and clutch side cover, and any other easily removed cover and do a visual inspection. If you don't find anything, just put the covers back and ride on.

pic of the debri ?   did you find the spring, or little hook that broke off spring  (stuck to the flywheel magnets)/  KLR's always have excess gasket goop from the factory usually trapped safely at the sump screen. Yours might have found it's way to the drain plug if you layed the bike on it's side to do the balancer work.

I dont have a picture but it just looked like a washer. As for the rubber like material it was small black chunks at various sizes the biggest size was about cross 5/16 cross section that would crumble in my hand. I found the washer looking for the broken doohickey in the oil pan.  The small black bits where mostly in the oil pan

Also i looked on some drawings to find anything of where this washer could have came from as well as forms i cant find anything I'm only left to assume that someone dropped it in there by accident washers and spaces don't normally just Fallout there's usually something holding it on or at the very least a bolt on the end of a shaft

if I remember right the valve cover used bolt seal washers, could of got dropped down the cam chain slot during a valve inspection?  Takes more than that to kill a klr though  : )

I did a valve shim adjustment. And didint see any washer missing. This was a metal washer that was about 7/8 od and 1/2 id

this is the washer i cannot see something that big getting inside the oil pan from the left side but you have me second guessing myself. The spacers on the back of the gears are in place i dont recall spacers going on the outer most part of the gear.

This is what it looked like before i but the case back on

20170521_223737.jpg

20170505_184347.jpg

Edited by Millwrightt

The top gear just below the starter drive looks like it may have had a thrust washer on it

if its not off the starter drive train, its from the doohicky shaft. its a thrust washer that  goes between the case and the needle bearing on the bottom gear. if you pull the shaft clear of the case, it falls into the sump... there is a big hole just under the shaft for return oil to the sump. you don't even have to remove the shaft... only just pull its slightly away from the case & down she goes. this of course has never happens to me (ha ha)

part # 92062B

doohicky.png

as for the "rubber".... prolly RTV. the book shows coating the valve cover gasket along the left side. when you check valves all that has to be removed and some of it falls in even if you are careful. the only part that need the RTV is the 2 cutouts from where the cam shafts were milled, the rest of the gasket is in a groove in the cover and ain't going anywhere.  I install the cover, the put a fat dot of RTV on the rubber cutout plug..... about the size of a nickle,  RTV is 1/2 on the head and 1/2 on the rubber. next time you need to go into the valves, peel off the RTV before you pull the cover, none will fall in the engine.

Edited by Beezerboy

Yep , it's common for people to pull the side cover to do the doohickey and not see that washer from the idler gear slide down the case a go plunk into the crankcase , I pretty much guarantee it's from one side or the other of that gear . Part #92022 http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Kawasaki/Motorcycle/2001/KL650-A15+KLR650/STARTER+MOTOR/parts.html

The rubber bits very well could be coming from the rubber dampeners on the balancer chain idler sprockets  #39133 , #12046, and possibly #13164 in the schematic in the previous post . The rubber gets old and brittle from time , oil saturation, and heat cycles .

Edited by jjktmrider

As for the washer I can pretty much guarantee that it is what it is. Thx for the help. 

While i have the covers off ill take a look at those part numbers. I know the rubber is their for a reason but can it cause damage or wear, not having the rubber on

What kind of damage can this do if i wait to put the washer on. I understand it's a thrust washer and prevents axial force on the bearings but I'm pretty sure the sprocket floats a little bit

It centers the gear mostly , I think there should only be so much clearance to keep things solid , it'll act as a wear item instead of the gear chewing into the aluminum .

If the rubber is from those sprockets it isn't a real big deal , many klr's running around like that , but it's obviously better to have them in good shape. The rubber is there to dampen the chain and keep it running smoother.

Edited by jjktmrider

Ok thx. Also this is a diffrent topic but i hit 200km on a full tank and flipped it to reserve only to full it up 12 liters. If i remember correctly its a 22 liter tank more or less. Im not sure whats going on

If your petcock is an aftermarket one the inlet tube is probably longer than what's needed . I take those tubes out and cut them to whatever height I need to leave about 15-20miles of reserve . Most people don't know that can be done and is what controls amount of reserve.

Edited by jjktmrider

Its stock. Theirs i cant seam to find any forms on this discussion so i ordered an aftermarket one without a vacuum line

I put a new yamaha petcock on mine to get rid of the vacuum one. Wanted to be able to drain gas off easier without motor running or pulling suction on the hose (with a small syringe). Don't remember what I did with the hose heights. Hate hitting reserve on the highway so usually run it on res. anyway.