350 FI Trouble Shooting Help Needed....Basic stuff checked

2011 350

New fuel pump, tank filters, etc, plus installed tank sock....All done ~18 months ago. Went on a few rides, bike ran great. 

Bike sat for 8 months or so and now won't fire.

Have fuel to injector, bike starts with starting fluid in intake, back flushed injector.

I even hooked everything up with the injector out of the throttle body. Fuel sprays out of the injector when I crank the bike over, but I'm not sure how much fuel is supposed to be coming out. One thing I did notice and have no idea if is normal or not is.....as I was cranking the bike and advanced the throttle I noticed the fuel injector quit spraying fuel....throttle back to closed and fuel sprayed from the injector again.

Kind of frustrated and taking a break for a minute....ugh...lol

is there a secondary fuel filter inline?    change that

try a new spark plug.

Are you getting robust battery voltage for healthy starter motor rpm?   sometimes its a hard start if cranking speed is slow.

any codes from cpu?

Take apart the entire throttle body intake area and have a close look around

good luck

I temporarily removed the inline filter.

I figured since it starts easily with starting fluid that the spark plug is ok.

I have had a charger on the battery since it was setting so long and I have just been cranking it while troubleshooting.

I have taken apart and inspected the throttle body intake pretty good....but not completely.

Haven't checked the codes from CPU. I dont have a way to do so and the local dealer is kind of useless.

Kind of thinking the injector, tps, or something has just gone bad....but not quite sure how to test those....need to do some more research

After sitting for 8 months, the injector could very well be partially blocked from a varnish build-up...residue from evaporating gas...at any rate it certainly seems to be suspect based on your description of it only partially functioning.

Send it here for cleaning www.proflowtech.com   The place is owned by a KTM rider and he will professionally clean your injector with and give you a written report and before and after spray pattern images for just $19 ...plus shipping.  You'll have a clean injector and eliminate one of the key variables in your search for the problem.

I store my bike for 6 months a year (winter)...but I always start it every couple of weeks to keep things clean and open.  I've never had a problem come spring.

Thanks!

Yeah I was planning on sending my injector there, I was just hoping to isolate the issue first.

However it doesn't look like that is going to be the case so I'll send it off Monday.

I also went ahead and removed the throttle body this morning and pulled off the MAP sensor and cleaned out the MAP sensor port.

I have everything I need to make a TPS tuning tool, so I will put that together and test/set the TPS.

Anyone know if there is a way to test the MAP sensor?

Edited by bapgood

Leave the adjustments alone for now, it was running fine when you put it up so it's got to be something bad or clogged as opposed to out of adjustment.  I would start with having the injector cleaned, and put the fuel filter back in.  If there is any junk in the gas or pump from sitting and the filter isn't there, then it's going right to the injector.  Flush the old gas out if you haven't already and get the injector cleaned, that's where I would start.  Good luck! 

In that case, connect your meter and watch the voltage as you slowly open and close the throttle. The voltage should smoothly increase as you open the throttle.  Any jumps or skips and you have a problem.   While the TPS can go bad, it's not a very common failure.  Grab the tool at www.tpstool.com for the quick and easy solution to checking out your TPS. ?  

40 minutes ago, sirthumpalot said:

In that case, connect your meter and watch the voltage as you slowly open and close the throttle. The voltage should smoothly increase as you open the throttle.  Any jumps or skips and you have a problem.   While the TPS can go bad, it's not a very common failure.  Grab the tool at www.tpstool.com for the quick and easy solution to checking out your TPS. ?  

Haha....Yes I already have one of those, thanks :D. Since I have the TB off I just hooked up a 5v bench power supply I have and checked it earlier this morning and it seemed good. 0.60v at closed and the voltage increased as I slowly opened the throttle and then back down to 0.06v at closed with no jumps or skips. I have a good and sensitive Fluke multi-meter so I'm pretty confident the TPS is accurate and working correctly.  

Just put the injector in the mail. So hopefully even though there was fuel coming out of the injector it is still the problem and the guys at Pro Flow can get it fixed up. Because if not there isn't much more I can think of.

Edited by bapgood