Still getting used to my YZ450F and it's torque.  Was riding around the field on my lunch break yesterday and I flipped her over backwards trying to wheelie.  Damn near broke the rear fender completely off.  And of course I had to finish off the day with my black work shirt covered in dirt.  Good times.  :ride:

So who else has done this?  And should I keep practicing before I actually replace the fender?  

As a pro myself, what your gonna wanna do is get your bike, don't bother warming it up. Get it, don't put any gear on, it only offsets the wheelie. Start the bike and put it in first gear. jam that thing till it can't bounce of the rev limiter anymore and firmly plant both your feet on the ground, as it's ringing out at 10k RPM while cold dump the clutch and you should pull off a perfect wheelie that will impress all your work buddies and woman aged 55-65. Repeat until you either break the bike or your body. 

Congratulations. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Learn to use the rear brake, I don't very often do wheelies and even I know that. ;)

^^^ THIS ^^^

If you want to get good at doing wheelies, you have to learn to use the rear brake rather than chopping the throttle or using the clutch. Steady throttle at the balance point and drag the rear foot brake as needed to control your forward/rearward angle.

• Like 2

Yes my first 80cc twostroke Yamaha.  Flipped that sucker over 3 times in row. Yamaha power :rolleyes:Haven't looked back since :thumbsup: happens man lol . Check out this old book from 1970 . Wish I had it when I was young would've saved a few rear fenders 

1494114409054-1689840670.jpg

1494114783579366903684.jpg

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 1

TopDog, that is some funny shit.  LoL

I've always ridden 2 strokes, and my last yz125 with a performance build wheelied no problem.  Just grabbed a fist full of throttle and feather the clutch.  This is my first 4stroke and still learning how it handles and reacts.  I just know it has torque for days.  I'll try the rear brake technique, I've heard of it before but never practiced it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, High On Octane said:

TopDog, that is some funny shit.  LoL

I've always ridden 2 strokes, and my last yz125 with a performance build wheelied no problem.  Just grabbed a fist full of throttle and feather the clutch.  This is my first 4stroke and still learning how it handles and reacts.  I just know it has torque for days.  I'll try the rear brake technique, I've heard of it before but never practiced it.

Yes and what guy in book says start on a slight up hill. Easier till you learn your tipping point.  It works :thumbsup: tricky with that 450 Ik it hits hard down low I like that lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TomTopDog12 said:

As a pro myself, what your gonna wanna do is get your bike, don't bother warming it up. Get it, don't put any gear on, it only offsets the wheelie. Start the bike and put it in first gear. jam that thing till it can't bounce of the rev limiter anymore and firmly plant both your feet on the ground, as it's ringing out at 10k RPM while cold dump the clutch and you should pull off a perfect wheelie that will impress all your work buddies and woman aged 55-65. Repeat until you either break the bike or your body. 

Congratulations. 

When you get more advanced you can try second gear. Your 450 should have no problems pulling second gear!

Edited by Dwrizzol

I got one of these not too long ago; much easier for me anyway to bring it down than using my foot. I cover the lever with 2 fingers before the front comes up!

http://www.oxbrake.com/

Works really well if you have a Rekluse, no worries about stalling if you lock up the rear.

14 minutes ago, Dwrizzol said:

When you get more advanced you can try second gear. Your 450 should have no problems pulling second gear!

Man i do em in 12th gear, thing pulls like crazy. 

2 minutes ago, TomTopDog12 said:

Man i do em in 12th gear, thing pulls like crazy. 

Well, I just installed a flux capacitor with a 100hp wet shot of nitrous.  It's why I flipped so easily.  I think I need to retune the flux capacitor tho, the hit comes on like the USS Enterprise going into hyperspace.

Just now, High On Octane said:

Well, I just installed a flux capacitor with a 100hp wet shot of nitrous.  It's why I flipped so easily.  I think I need to retune the flux capacitor tho, the hit comes on like the USS Enterprise going into hyperspace.

Yea i heard they got some problems with em, I personally like 400hp 2 stroke KTM they made, say if you hit 5th gear you pass space time continuum.  

• Like 2

I'm been laughing for a a bit but Ya IMO the key thing is keeping your foot on the rear brake and if feel you're going over backwards, give it a tap.

As Steve Wright says...

“You know when you're sitting on a chair and you lean back so you're just on two legs and you lean too far so you almost fall over but at the last second you catch yourself? I feel like that all the time...”

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, filterx said:

I'm been laughing for a a bit but Ya IMO the key thing is keeping your foot on the rear brake and if feel you're going over backwards, give it a tap.

As Steve Wright says...

“You know when you're sitting on a chair and you lean back so you're just on two legs and you lean too far so you almost fall over but at the last second you catch yourself? I feel like that all the time...”

I remember seeing Doug damokis not sure if spelled rite sry. "The wheelie king"  wheelie all the way around the Broometioga national track when I was a kid. Think he rode a xr100 maybe not sure 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Motox367 said:

I remember seeing Doug damokis not sure if spelled rite sry. "The wheelie king"  wheelie all the way around the Broometioga national track when I was a kid. Think he rode a xr100 maybe not sure 

I remember that guy!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dwrizzol said:

I remember that guy!

Was half-time show at the nationals.  All the way around over jumps and all lol

1 minute ago, Motox367 said:

Was half-time show at the nationals.  All the way around over jumps and all lol

It is funny how things that seemed to be so rad back in the day seem common place today.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dwrizzol said:

It is funny how things that seemed to be so rad back in the day seem common place today.

Ya I remember it was awesome just waiting for him to mess up but never did. Amazing talent that guy has was awesome to see as a young kid

• Like 1