2016 yz450f premature valve wear ?

Done some research with no luck, seeing if anyone has had any valve issues with the 16. Buddy of mine has had the valves wear into the seats with around 70 hours on it. Causing excessive need for shimming until the we ran to the smallest size. The exhaust is stretched the worst but the face on the intake is finished.

Image1494106731.331480.jpgImage1494106791.952624.jpgImage1494106820.567698.jpg

New valves, springs and the head have been sent out for a valve job or new seats

7 minutes ago, DanielMerrick said:

Done some research with no luck, seeing if anyone has had any valve issues with the 16. Buddy of mine has had the valves wear into the seats with around 70 hours on it. Causing excessive need for shimming until the we ran to the smallest size. The exhaust is stretched the worst but the face on the intake is finished.

Image1494106731.331480.jpgImage1494106791.952624.jpgImage1494106820.567698.jpg

New valves, springs and the head have been sent out for a valve job or new seats

That little hours is he a pro motocross rider. 

Ride in lot of sand type dirt? Clean the filter more often try useing belray foam filter oil or equivalent. Keep filter clean and oil changed, keep it off rev limiter and these heads are great even if your fast?

• Like 2

I think alot of people these days don't know how to properly oil thier air filter ? I've always used belray foam filter oil.  Use to grease them to but was over kill. Like gray said the oil is enough to seal . 20+ years of racing never had engine failure cause of sucking dirt,dust, mud.  My 450 -12' doesn't seem to have ever have as dirty of filter as my twostrokes did. I suggest he do something different than he has been ? 

29 minutes ago, Krannie McKranface said:

Steve, is this 'the boy's' bike ?

I don't use grease on the lip, I just use pure filter oil around the sealing edge.

No it's not one of mine. But I have switched to Belray for all filters now. My 16' sucked dust with notoil and notoil grease. I never saw dust in the earlier models but it would be hard to see in those. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Motox367 said:

I think alot of people these days don't know how to properly oil thier air filter

I agree, especially those who use a spray oil.  Foam elements depend on being oiled all the way through the entire mass of the foam, not just a coating on the outside.  The oil needs to be applied to the point where the foam won't hold any more and then the element should be squeezed (never wrung) free of excess and allowed to drain and dry for 8 hours before using it.

The filter is supposed to provide a twisting, convoluted path for the air to flow through, and the foam is very open.  It relies on the fact that the air doesn't have a problem making all those tight turns weaving its way through, but the dust being heavier will run into the webs of the foam, where the oil on the webbing will grab it and hold on.  The oil can only hold so much, though, and then the dirt can find its way deeper into the foam.  That's OK if there's oil deeper in the foam, too, but not if it's just sprayed on the outside.

• Like 2