2016 KTM 450 stalling, also garbage stock battery

Hey boys and girls

I knew this was going to be on my list of things to post to TT. 

But was out riding again today and i happened to jump into the single trail with my BIG BIRTHA KTM 450SX-F and what do you know? it stalls like crazy! (I know i know it's not a EXC or XC) I'm probably going to have to get a rekulse in the thing if i want any good attempt at riding the single trail well. I was covering the clutch the whole time and it would still find a way to stall at low RPM. 

Also, the stock battery is no lie TOTAL JUNK. It can barely crank the big bike over, and if i stall it it has a bitch of a time starting again as the 450s always do. Before i dump all the money into a new battery and rekulse clutch, what do you guys do to help with it? I was told to raise my idle but i heard that doesn't really help much with general flame outs. Saw a guy on a 16 350xcf with a rekluse and he was flying! 

Thanks guys!

(monk is gonna say "i told you so") 

You might need to richen it up with the tps setting.

If it's not fueling correctly and stalling, the rekluse won't change the stalling.

Also, I press the starter briefly to prime the electronics..wait for 30 secs and then it starts fine 

• Like 1

Just now, Bruce372 said:

You might need to richen it up with the tps setting.

If it's not fueling correctly and stalling, the rekluse won't change the stalling.

Also, I press the starter briefly to prime the electronics..wait for 30 secs and then it starts fine 

I also do that, and it's brand new, last time i messed with my TPS On my old 350 i sold it a few months later because of the idle garbage. I'd rather not get into that again :/ but i may have to eh 

Well a simple thing you can do and try it out is raise the idle. On my 250sxf in tight single track when I first got it would sometimes stall. I raised the idle which also a lot of endurocross racers do and it helped so much. Also you could try a fly wheel weight. But a rekluse clutch would probably be your best bet. But it is a lot of money.

Just now, Dirtshark808 said:

Well a simple thing you can do and try it out is raise the idle. On my 250sxf in tight single track when I first got it would sometimes stall. I raised the idle which also a lot of endurocross racers do and it helped so much. Also you could try a fly wheel weight. But a rekluse clutch would probably be your best bet. But it is a lot of money.

Yea i know that's the down side :(, plus, i like the feeling of a normal clutch. don't rekluses take some of that away? 

It depends which clutch you buy. My dad had a version 1 rekluse clutch with no clutch and he hated it and so did I because the bike was always moving so it was a pain. It was a 07 450xcw btw. But the new rekluse are a love hate relationship. Some people love them and some hate them. If I were you I'd definitely get a bigger FWW because it sounds like you mainly trail ride and you could also mess with gearing. But definitely raise the idle because that's free haha.

• Like 1

Just now, Monk said:

I told you so?! Lol... Bigger battery (Antigravity XPS) and Rekluse will do wonders! 

now my dad and i were talking, should i get a bigger tray and a new bigger battery or stick with the small tray and get a stronger small battery? 

Just now, TomTopDog12 said:

now my dad and i were talking, should i get a bigger tray and a new bigger battery or stick with the small tray and get a stronger small battery? 

The Samsung battery is unique in size, as far as I know a bigger battery, even the one I listed which is the size of a sandwich is still too big for the SXF box... A XCF tray will accommodate more battery, more juice, quicker starts and better piece of mind... 

Just now, Monk said:

The Samsung battery is unique in size, as far as I know a bigger battery, even the one I listed which is the size of a sandwich is still too big for the SXF box... A XCF tray will accommodate more battery, more juice, quicker starts and better piece of mind... 

Oh man, that's gonna cost some i bet, i will have to call my dealer and see how i can price together that tray and see if they also sell a good battery. but i'm gonna look at the one you told me about. 

Just now, Dirtshark808 said:

Monk I think the Shorai lithium ion battery is better because of my friend using the same Shorai for 4+ years without ever charging it. Also he travels a lot for months sometimes and ever time he comes home his bike fires right up.

Maybe... I've used Shorai, Battery Tender and Anti Gravity and they all work the same, but... The Antigravity unit near doubles the output of the other 2 mentioned (size for size) in CCA and MaH... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Monk said:

Maybe... I've used Shorai, Battery Tender and Anti Gravity and they all work the same, but... The Antigravity unit near doubles the output of the other 2 mentioned (size for size) in CCA and MaH... 

So i bought this exact battery for my 13 350, it was appart it didn't fit my 450, if i get the bigger tray will it fit do you think? it fit the stock 13 tray pretty tight. on another thought, the shorai looks pretty good. 

10 minutes ago, TomTopDog12 said:

So i bought this exact battery for my 13 350, it was appart it didn't fit my 450, if i get the bigger tray will it fit do you think? it fit the stock 13 tray pretty tight. on another thought, the shorai looks pretty good. 

Yes, I have one in my 16 right now... 

• Like 1

You'll have to master the clutch to ride that bike in the woods. I absolutely love my 16 450sxf in the woods, and everywhere else. Non of my recluse riding two stroke buddies can believe I ride this bike in the woods

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pomoco said:

You'll have to master the clutch to ride that bike in the woods. I absolutely love my 16 450sxf in the woods, and everywhere else. Non of my recluse riding two stroke buddies can believe I ride this bike in the woods

aside for the clutching required i love the bike! thing rips! 

Just now, pomoco said:

The handling is what I love

I love everything about it honestly, again, battery and clutching, but nobody said it was a trail bike! 

The power is crazy, there when you want it. I'm about to go change the oil on mine right now!

I know this is totally unrelated to the topic but, I was changing my oil, third oil change I've don ever to this bike with 28 hours and my drain plug looks like this, would this be cool clutch material or worse? I feel this is a lot on the drain plug to be honest, I do 4 hour oil changes....

what you guys think?

IMG_1052.JPG

IMG_1053.JPG