New 300 Race Edition - Opinions on pre-mix?

Just got a new 2017 300RR Race Edition.  Pretty pumped to get out and ride it!  Mostly stock with some accessories.  MSR hand guards, stiffer rear spring, 3.1 tank, radiator guards, carbon fiber pipe guard, fork bleeders, Seat Concepts softer seat...

I bought the bike and didn't realize that the Race Edition doesn't have oil injection!  Total oversight on my part.  Dealer offered to move me to a regular 300rr but I really wanted the Race for many reasons (forks, pegs, bling, etc).  So I'm curious how people feel about mixing vs pre-mix.  I know this is an age old discussion but here is the thing.  I can opt for the $350 kit that allows me to add oil injection to my Race Edition.  I like the idea of driving up to the gas station and filling up.  I also like the idea of stealing fuel from my buddies if I ever get that low.  There's also a good chance I put a snowbike kit on this bike and you burn through fuel quicker in the snow than on dirt.  So, thoughts on this?

• Like 1

I love not having to mix gas. My rr is plated too so if I end up doing any dualsport event I can stop anywhere without having to mess with mixing on the fly.

• Like 2

its convenient for sure, i dont know if i would have added one if I got the race edition though. the first sign of trouble with this thing and I am yankin it and going back to premix. but so far so good. the other guys I ride with are on premix so me being able to fill at a pump doesnt help the group :) be good if u ride with 4 strokes

• Like 2

Ive ripped mine out and some friends also did. Even my beta dealers with his own bike took it out. One thing less to worry about.

• Like 2

Beta sent a clear message when it made the RRE with traditional pre-mix. Anyone having $10,000 to spend on an offroad db should find that message very clear. 

• Like 2

I don't trust Beta's implementation of oil injection.  Too many fragile interconnected parts all relying on an electrical system that seems prone to failure due to corroded or failed capacitors, diodes, and ECU etc.  There's a growing number of reports of unexpected and undetected (no warning light) OI failures for a variety of reasons.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

Beta sent a clear message when it made the RRE with traditional pre-mix. Anyone having $9,000 to spend on an offroad db should find that message very clear. 

There I fixed it for you.

• Like 1

Who stops at the purchase price? OP is already asking about an additional $350 add on. Then bling this, bling that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

18 hours ago, AndrettiDog said:

Just got a new 2017 300RR Race Edition.  Pretty pumped to get out and ride it!  Mostly stock with some accessories.  MSR hand guards, stiffer rear spring, 3.1 tank, radiator guards , carbon fiber pipe guard, fork bleeders, Seat Concepts softer seat...

I bought the bike and didn't realize that the Race Edition doesn't have oil injection!  Total oversight on my part.  Dealer offered to move me to a regular 300rr but I really wanted the Race for many reasons (forks, pegs, bling, etc).  So I'm curious how people feel about mixing vs pre-mix.  I know this is an age old discussion but here is the thing.  I can opt for the $350 kit that allows me to add oil injection to my Race Edition.  I like the idea of driving up to the gas station and filling up.  I also like the idea of stealing fuel from my buddies if I ever get that low.  There's also a good chance I put a snowbike kit on this bike and you burn through fuel quicker in the snow than on dirt.  So, thoughts on this?

Some like it some don't . The race edition is set up for racing and more bling.. better options.. mainly the fork ... and an auto pre mix is to me a foo foo add on that is more weight and a convenience thing. Put it on your race edition if you like. You have the option.. but I like mixing my own fuel and like the elimination of possible problems where there is none for mixing my own... that's been the case from the 70's.  I'd say the oil injection is good maybe for if I could street legal my 300 here for convenience... I can't. I'd get the race edition spedifically because it did "not" come with Oil injection. The good thing is it's an option if you want it.. It's supposed to run cleaner? and be better on gas? I don't know.. I don't want that crap on my bike... but got good and not so good points..

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

I just bought a XTrainer. Today is my 1st day riding it. The auto lube is nice in the fact that it's variable (allegedly) so to runs cleanly in the woods but doesn't load up if you get on it. Still, I think I'd feel safer mixing my own.

150 hours on my 16 RR with no oil injection issues.. Fill the tank and ride.  Until it stops being that simple i won't remove it.

• Like 8

I just bought a XTrainer. Today is my 1st day riding it. The auto lube is nice in the fact that it's variable (allegedly) so to runs cleanly in the woods but doesn't load up if you get on it. Still, I think I'd feel safer mixing my own.

You run clean with proper jetting, it has nothing to do with OI vs mix. I posted a pic of my 100 hr head and piston in another thread.

You run clean with proper jetting, it has nothing to do with OI vs mix. I posted a pic of my 100 hr head and piston in another thread.

I appreciate your opinion but I've rode 2 strokes for 25 years, I know their tendencies.

7 hours ago, wwguy said:

I don't trust Beta 's implementation of oil injection.  Too many fragile interconnected parts all relying on an electrical system that seems prone to failure due to corroded or failed capacitors, diodes, and ECU etc.  There's a growing number of reports of unexpected and undetected (no warning light) OI failures for a variety of reasons.

I don't like any implementation of oil injection.. Beta doesn't even have anything to do with it to me. I just rather not have it... but obviously some guys like it so as a decision for a company to add to their 2 stroke dirt enduro line? I guess.. but If I'd get a bike today I'd get a 2 stroke race edition. ..and I wouldn't especially like an efi Beta so if going 4 stroke.. I'd like the 15' 500 RS or the 15' 430 RS.. still carbed and I'd buy used.

1 hour ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

I appreciate your opinion but I've rode 2 strokes for 25 years, I know their tendencies.

So then you obviously know that traditional two-strokes tend to "load up" with oil at lower RPM's and clean out at higher RPM when you "get on it".  Your previous post gives the exact opposite impression.  FWIW I was tempted to respond similarly to GP.

Edited by wwguy

1 hour ago, k4f5x0r said:

150 hours on my 16 RR with no oil injection issues.. Fill the tank and ride.  Until it stops being that simple i won't remove it.

Thats great to hear!

on the other hand a local guy here had 5 hrs on his 17 300rr and it stopped working. 

Seems the reliability goes from one end of the spectrum to the other.

Wow, interesting responses.  Hard to tell in a post but it seems to be a touch subject for some!  

I went on the first ride today and had a blast.  Nothing knarly, just ripping around single track and a small track.  I love the motor.  I'm not sure I love the forks.  They are really soft.  I haven't done any adjustments yet and I realize the 300 wasn't made for ripping around a track.  I just felt the front end sponge up on corners.  I'll have to play with that.  I love how well it handles otherwise and it starts so well.  I can't stand the kill switch.  I'm sure I'll get used to it though.

As for the mixed fuel, it was not an issue.  Just an inconvenience that I'll have to get used to.  I had to run down to the gas station in my truck to fill a 5 gallon jug.  My Mix Rite container did the trick for me very easily.  I think I'll stay with premix for now.  

So then you obviously know that traditional two-strokes tend to "load up" with oil at lower RPM's and clean out at higher RPM when you "get on it".  Your previous post gives the exact opposite impression.  FWIW I was tempted to respond similarly to GP.

Maybe I didn't it word it right but yes, you know what I mean. If you putt around for a while when suddenly get on it, it will take a second to clear out. The xt seems to run clean

• Like 1

I have no such problems that would cause me to think about OI or alter my premix ratio.  From bar with trees for miles to fast sand roads its a clean transition.   Sometimes what you feel is good jetting is not optimum.   OI is for Euro 4, nothing more.

• Like 1