Putting a fan on 09 TXC 450

Decided it's better to keep my cool. It runs pretty hot in slow going; spewed a little coolant on me once. Did some research and got a Spal 4 inch puller fan and ordered the bracket that the TE and SMR models use to mount it. Worked out perfectly.

20170506_183632_zpsajo44vbb.jpg

20170506_183657_zps0beb3vlr.jpg

20170506_192604_zps7hofwksp.jpg

Now I just have to finish wiring it up. I'm going to use the mystery plug under the tank for power. The red wire is hot all the time. I used my multimeter on the other two wires and there's no resistance on either one. Can I use either of them for ground or would it be better to ground to the frame?

Also, should I put the fuse and switch on the positive side? I've read it should be on the positive side and others say it doesn't matter. I'm going to run it manually, on when it's getting hot, off when going fast enough(most of the time) to not be needed. Hopefully my stator can handle it. Might have to turn the lights off. I'll check the battery voltage with both on to see when I finish wiring. Forgot to pick up some wire....duh.

I went ahead put the switch and fuse on the positive side, better safe than sorry. I used the green wire on the unused plug under the tank for ground. Works great. I measured voltage across the battery terminals with the bike idling and with no load got 14.57, with lights on 13.34 (led headlight 20w), light and fan 12.53, and finally just fan 12.66. Looks like the lights will get turned off when running the fan if possible.

20170507_161916_zpsynr28jxs.jpg

Trailtech waterproof switch zip tied the clutch M/C.

20170507_161837_zpshnil48f3.jpg

Snug fit with the IMS 3 gal tank, but works. Gonna be a little harder to get the valve cover off for clearance checks.

20170507_165824_zps6xhc3zx0.jpg

did  you   get  your  up-tite  Y  branch  into  the cooling  system. eliminate  the plastic  Y.  a  must if your  running hard and out in the boonies  

Yup, one of the 1st things I did, along with replacing the connector tube between the rads with fuel injection hose.