What's the Value of This DRZ?

I have a friend that has a DRZ400S with a bad motor. I'm not sure what year it is, but I suspect it somewhere around a 2010. He cracked the case on a rock and didn't realize until he had ridden it several miles with no oil in it. It now has a knock in the bottom end. This happened 3-4 years ago and has been sitting ever since. Other than this it's in used, but good condition. He's finally to the point that he's considering selling it and I'm debating if I want to pick it up. What would be a good price? 

It's been a while since I've been involved with the forums on here so I've lost touch with anything current to do with DRZ's. That said, I have a 2000 DRZ-400E model which I had the motor rebuilt probably 10 years ago now, but it literally only has 5-10 hours on it. After rebuilding the motor life got busy and I kind of put riding to the side. I also bought a CR500 which I generally ride the 1-2x a year that I get to ride. The only reason I haven't gotten rid of the bike is that I hate to take such a huge loss on it, so I just let it sit. I am thinking if I had a street legal model I might ride it quite a bit more. The thought of buying this S model and swapping over my motor, carb, exhaust, suspension, etc. is really tempting to me. I just don't want to overpay buying this thing. What do they normally go for in this condition?

How hard is it to swap over? I know the wiring will be slightly different, and I know you can't get a neutral light, but I'm fine with that. Can you use the E model CDI, or do you have to swap the whole wiring harness for that? Is this a project worth attempting if I can get his bike for a decent price?

i doubt the wiring is even an issue .. if its in good shape and you have a motor maybe offer 500$ .. i wouldnt give more than that for a bike with a dead motor in it ..

14 hours ago, hometheaterman said:

. What would be a good price? 

I also bought a CR500 which I generally ride the 1-2x a year that I get to ride. The only reason I haven't gotten rid of the bike is that I hate to take such a huge loss on it, so I just let it sit.

For a bike that likely needs a new crank, cylinder, piston, and head, cams etc, not much.

Vintage dirtbikes are going up in value, with the CR500 probably the most coveted ever, so keep hanging on!

Not sure where you live but there are ways to get your current E model plated. This may be easier and cheaper. As far as the value of a rolling S model I wouldn't go much over 1K.

Thanks guys. That gives me a ball park idea. I honestly had $500 in mind, but I didn't know if it I was out of line or not. I guess I'll see what he decides he wants for it and go from there. 

Not sure where you live but there are ways to get your current E model plated. This may be easier and cheaper. As far as the value of a rolling S model I wouldn't go much over 1K.

I live in VA and I've always wanted to do this. However, it sounds like many people have a lot of trouble with this. I also bought the bike used and don't have the original certificate of origin which people are saying that they are needing to get dirt bikes plated. I'd definitely be open to this option if someone in VA has done it and has any advice. I'd just like to get this thing street legal so that I can actually ride it. When I have to trailer it close to 2 hours to ride it, it makes it a hassle to go riding. 

• Like 1

I bought a non running S model for 500. No title. I had to go through the abandoned vehicle process to procure a title. Took a few months but not bad at all.  Where in VA are you? 

• Like 1