What is the best woods (fun) trail bike?

I haven't had a bike in a few years but I'm looking for a good easy riding woods bike to ride with the boy. Something like the old xr400, kdx220, ktm200 or Yamaha wr250 2 stroke. Something capable of lugging around a gear to high with out any crazy power bands to throw you on your ass when it's muddy. What's out there say with in the last 7yrs or newer like the bikes I described?

• Like 1

Crf230, ttr230, klx250, dr250/400.

Anything air cooled will be a low maintenance, easy to ride bike.

Or, look for a good condition xr200/250/400. My personal favourites.

• Like 1

I really like the old Honda xr400's myself. I had one I raced hare scrambles with back in the mid 90's. You could lug that bike around a gear to high thru the mud with easy and with a FMF pipe/silencer they would get up and run also. The new 450's done got to big, hard to work on and have enough power that there hard to ride. The old XR's were better.

• Like 1

The bike I'm looking for is like the old Yamaha wr250 2 stroke of the mid 90's. With its wide ratio trans it had lug around tractor (4stroke) like power. You could lug around in the woods a gear to high. On muddy days you could lug around a gear to high and not hit the power band and throw you on your ass like the yz250 would. Electric start would be great too if I could get it, I'm not that old yet but I'm old enough.lol Anybody rode the KTM 250xc it would be perfect if the trans was like the wr250 and the Yamaha 250x would be great if it had electric start. I know I can find this stuff in a 4 stroke the 250fx would get the job done but I would rather stay 2 stroke if I can to be easy and cheap to work on and I can do the work myself.

You are looking for one of these? Good luck they are hard to find anymore. I use mine as a trail maintenance bike, and a backup bike for when the race bike is down. Awesome machine, and I'd be surprised if you could find one. I'll probably never sell mine. 

I'd be looking for a crf230 if I were in your shoes. They are tame and reliable as a claw hammer.

20170120_114739.jpg.3a544b4671ec6175f50945c6d000dd49.jpgpost-361834-14851857125116_thumb.jpg

I liked the old wr well enough that when I had a chance to buy just the gear set for one I did.   Just in case I found a nice clean yz of the 94-95 set (I like the egs for all day riding better than my newer yz's).  So far I haven't found a bike for it though.   My current like is a 2002 yz 250 with a rekluse clutch.  I do the kind of riding that you do and it is very well suited for it.   Lots of ways to make the yz's what you want them to be.   XR's are my other rigs and to be honest the 400 isn't one that I really got into.  If I lived where there was more desert riding the story would change.   I like my xr 250s more for single track,  lighter,  the big bore built up one is easier to go fast on due to weight and the extra gear.   The 600 just doesn't feel enough heavier than the 400 and the 250 and the 600 start better than the xr400's I have been around,  but then again I have yet to tune an xr400.

FYI at 66 with a repaired right knee I really don't have any starting problems with the yz's I have (125's and the 250 mentioned).  Not like with my cr500.  The rekluse clutch makes stalling it basically impossible.   So I start it when I leave the truck and turn it off when I get back.  

• Like 1

On 5/7/2017 at 0:54 AM, SonsRexspensive said:

I haven't had a bike in a few years but I'm looking for a good easy riding woods bike to ride with the boy. Something like the old xr400, kdx220, ktm200 or Yamaha wr250 2 stroke. Something capable of lugging around a gear to high with out any crazy power bands to throw you on your ass when it's muddy. What's out there say with in the last 7yrs or newer like the bikes I described?

read down if you want my opinion,  somehow I couldn't include this in my reply.  good luck on finding the old 2 stroke wr.

On May 7, 2017 at 5:51 PM, SonsRexspensive said:

The bike I'm looking for is like the old Yamaha wr250 2 stroke of the mid 90's. With its wide ratio trans it had lug around tractor (4stroke) like power. You could lug around in the woods a gear to high. On muddy days you could lug around a gear to high and not hit the power band and throw you on your ass like the yz250 would. Electric start would be great too if I could get it, I'm not that old yet but I'm old enough.lol Anybody rode the KTM 250xc it would be perfect if the trans was like the wr250 and the Yamaha 250x would be great if it had electric start. I know I can find this stuff in a 4 stroke the 250fx would get the job done but I would rather stay 2 stroke if I can to be easy and cheap to work on and I can do the work myself.

250xc-w will have the trans you're looking for.  Great bikes.

• Like 1

+1 more for either the Yamaha or Honda 230's (since you don't want a lot of power) The motors are bullet-proof and it's funny to watch good riders rip past the "fast" kids lol. But not if you're a big guy.

For me, what makes a woods bike more fun is light light light. So I prefer 2 strokes. Although the kdx's were great woods bikes, their weight was up there with big 4 strokes. As Poldies said, the modern 250 2 stroke woods bikes (XC-W, etc) are probably the best thing out there. But they WILL put you on your butt in a quick way. And if money is no option, another +1 for the XTrainer.

I like a Honda CRF230F as a first trail bike. You can pick up a good one for $1500-1800.

Clean KDX220s go for about the same price, they have much better suspension and far more power than a 230F

For new riders, IMHO, you want a low enough bike that you can comfortably put your foot on the ground. Unless you are 6-2 or taller, that leaves out modern serious trail bikes like a KTM XCW

• Like 1

Ktm 250xc-w

They have the orange powerbands that don't put you on your keester and can be swapped for the purple powerbands that WILL put you on your butt

If you don't want to go fast a Yamaha TW200 is sure a lot of fun and about unstoppable.

• Like 2