250xc versus 250exc?

What is the difference between the 250xc and 250exc? Do they have different transmissions or different power delivery or what? Which one is the easiest riding trail bike and do the have enough power to lug around a gear to high on the trails or are you shifting all the time?

EXC has mirrors, etc for street riding also and enduro transmission, and the XC had the close ratio gearbox. I presume you are referring to the F models, not the 2 strokes.

In N. American the XCW (EXC) is more or a trail bike. Wider ratio transmission, slightly lower compression (I think). Spring forks (vs. air) and the linkage is on top of the swingarm, rather than under. It's more of a trail bike. The XC Is a trail bikes, with an an MX personality.

28 minutes ago, quikcolin said:

In N. American the XCW (EXC) is more or a trail bike. Wider ratio transmission, slightly lower compression (I think). Spring forks (vs. air) and the linkage is on top of the swingarm, rather than under. It's more of a trail bike. The XC Is a trail bikes, with an an MX personality.

At least for earlier generations exc/xc/xcw all the same engine except for transmission. they all have same CDI box as well. xc does NOT have higher compression neither agressive ignition like that lehiguy here falsely claims.

Xc is not actually a trail bike but a CROSS COUNTRY closed course bike BUT it does fine at woods as well.

Edited by KTMfinrider

this has been beat to death.  Try to get on both if you can.

Some hate the EXC transmission and the granny gear 1st, some love it. 

Think of the XC as an MX bike with a bigger gas tank, 18 in rear, 6 speed tranny, and e start. 

Edit:  EXC has PDS suspension while the XC has a linkage suspension.

Edited by billtro11

Trying to find both and riding them is a really good idea. But in reality it's really really hard to do.lol But the transmission is kinda what I was wondering about. Has anybody ever rode the old Yamaha wr250 2 stroke they had out back in the mid 90's? It was the best Yamaha ever made for the woods I used to ride one in hare scrambles.  It was a 2 stroke but you could lug it around a gear to high in the woods like a 4 stroke. It would go anywhere in the muddy races like a tractor and you wouldn't have the power band throwing you on your ass like the yz250 would. That's kinda what I would like to find again to trail ride with the boy a 2 stroke with lug around power like a 4 stroke. Easy to ride, not shifting all the time and electric start. My boy has the 250sx and for a 15yr old it's fine but but I don't want to be fighting that power ban and shifting my ass off all the time. Electric start would make it the perfect amount of lazy too.lol I don't know the 300 may be what I'm looking for I just figured the 250 would be easier to ride.

If you like to lug and tractor around I think the 300 xcw would be perfect. I have the 250 and it likes to be on the pipe a little more than a 300 but the 300 will put you on your ass in a heartbeat if you get too aggressive. The 250 xcw I think is the definition of a modern trail bike. Light, plush suspension, nice gearing for the woods and a headlight in case you have to ride home in the dark. 

Does the W on XC-W stand for wide ratio transition?

What does the XC have the same transmission as the XS just with a 6th gear!

4 hours ago, SonsRexspensive said:

Trying to find both and riding them is a really good idea. But in reality it's really really hard to do.lol But the transmission is kinda what I was wondering about. Has anybody ever rode the old Yamaha wr250 2 stroke they had out back in the mid 90's? It was the best Yamaha ever made for the woods I used to ride one in hare scrambles.  It was a 2 stroke but you could lug it around a gear to high in the woods like a 4 stroke. It would go anywhere in the muddy races like a tractor and you wouldn't have the power band throwing you on your ass like the yz250 would. That's kinda what I would like to find again to trail ride with the boy a 2 stroke with lug around power like a 4 stroke. Easy to ride, not shifting all the time and electric start. My boy has the 250sx and for a 15yr old it's fine but but I don't want to be fighting that power ban and shifting my ass off all the time. Electric start would make it the perfect amount of lazy too.lol I don't know the 300 may be what I'm looking for I just figured the 250 would be easier to ride.

53 minutes ago, SonsRexspensive said:

Does the W on XC-W stand for wide ratio transition?

What does the XC have the same transmission as the XS just with a 6th gear!

If you liked your WR250 an XCW is ideal. It will do all of that and have electric start.

yes. XCW means wide ratio. Xc is semi close ratio IIRC.

I agree. I was riding a well sorted yamaha wr250 recently.  They are still nice and good fun for a old bike but the newer ones are in a different league. 

For once the review's are true! It's almost impossible to stall the counterbalanced motors. It lugs unbelievably low.

Regarding the difference between models.... honestly can't tell the difference between the 2 gearboxes. 

In theory an xc has tighter 1-3 gears. 4-6 gears are the same.

I personally prefer linkage suspension but the new pds is pretty good.

See what you can get the best deal on and go for it. Both bikes are amazing 

What year did they put electric start on the XC and XC-W? 

the xc didnt get electric start untill 2009, the xc-w had it in 2008

Thank you sir.
It's funny how times have changed.
Now the xc gets the updates and the xc-w lags behind

3 hours ago, lhc450 said:

Thank you sir.
It's funny how times have changed.
Now the xc gets the updates and the xc-w lags behind emoji23.png

What updates xc has over xc-w?

What updates xc has over xc-w?

Depending on preference, the linkage and forks are an upgrade IMHO

The CC bladder forks on the XC paired with the linkage suspension is what is the most sought after on these boards.

The starter also sucked on the XC's and XCW's until MY 2014 I think.