HELP! XR400 case saver issue

So I was just putting my case saver back on and seemed to have accidentally pushed out a grommet of some sort on the inside of the bolt hole for the part because I can see inside the case through the bolt hole. Is this normal or am I missing something!! Any help is appreciated thanks!

Are you using the proper bolt for that location? If it's too long you could bust thru the bottom of the hole and into the crankcase. That may be what someone before you did and they stuffed the hole with something to seal it. You might drain the oil and see if whatever is was comes out with the oil.

You'll have to do something to fix it tho, as that will be a constant oil leak there.

Are you using the proper bolt for that location? If it's too long you could bust thru the bottom of the hole and into the crankcase. That may be what someone before you did and they stuffed the hole with something to seal it. You might drain the oil and see if whatever is was comes out with the oil.
You'll have to do something to fix it tho, as that will be a constant oil leak there.

Just drained the oil and kept an eye out for any lumps. Best guess is that is has been like this for a while and I'm just noticing it...I hope. Do you think the right size bolt will effectively seal it? I am able to put my finger over it and it stops what seems to be a vacuum leak.

1 hour ago, XR400EX said:

I am able to put my finger over it and it stops what seems to be a vacuum leak.

That's because the inner case is exposed to outside atmosphere now. The engine will run like crap with a vacuum leak.

No, the right size bolt will not "seal" it. The damage is done. You'll either have to split the case to get to the inside and patch it or do like someone before you and stuff something down in it. Hopefully whatever the previous plug was made from won't cause any engine damage. If you're lucky, it might find it's way into and get caught in the oil screen filter at the bottom of the case.

That's because the inner case is exposed to outside atmosphere now. The engine will run like crap with a vacuum leak.
No, the right size bolt will not "seal" it. The damage is done. You'll either have to split the case to get to the inside and patch it or do like someone before you and stuff something down in it. Hopefully whatever the previous plug was made from won't cause any engine damage. If you're lucky, it might find it's way into and get caught in the oil screen filter at the bottom of the case.

The previous owner must have done the same thing twice because there is something that resembles a grommet it the bolt hole above it. Either that is factory or the first mistake clearly didn't mean anything. Took it for a ride after changing the oil it still seems to run fine. Just going to hope draining the oil forced the piece into the oil screen at the bottom and I'll check that when I put the new clutch in in a couple weeks.