Thumpstar 125 bogging out

Semi new to the dirtbike life. Got a brand new thumpstar 125 from tbolt. Bike was running good for about 10 hours. Recently as the weather started to get a little warmer i can start it and it idles. I give it a little gas while its in N, and it will sound like its gasping for air and bog out and stall if i dont let go of throttle. I tried turning the carb screw 1/4 clockwise. It idles higher and i was able to put in gear and ride off getting to forth gear. Ill drop it back to N and when i get to about third gear sometimes second it starts to bog any time i give it throttle and eventually die on me and i have to baby the throttle to bearly make it back to my house. Is there something else i should be tuning along with what i did? Any input greatly appreciated

Update first ride that it died on me. I had it and the stock position and it would die. The ride that it stalled was at 1/8 turn clockwise. I put it just past 1/4 just now and it seems to idle alot better i let it get nice and warm before i started to rev the throttle. Previously this is when it would bog out. Now it seems to be nice and consistant so i guess the extra 1/8 turn was all i needed. Should i adjust anything else with the added richness?? It looks like there is another little adjuster screw underneath the one that sticks out (the one i adjusted) i havent touched anything else.

I didnt have a chance to take it around the block and cycle through the gears. Ill be doing that tom morning. If it dies again should i turn up the richness of it?

I guess i need to decrease my pilot jet in the carb. Taking it off tomorrow to work on. Ill try to post a few pictures.

Post up a couple of crisp clear pictures of the carb, so we can see what you're working with.

It looks like there push pins holding the bottom in? I didnt tap them out cause i didnt know if they will go back in?

20170508_114039.jpg

20170508_114055.jpg

20170508_114036.jpg

I'm sure that carb has a fuel screw located in front of the float bowl, underneath where the carb bolts to the manifold. Using a small screwdriver, slowly turn the screw IN until you feel it stop, and keep track of the number of turns. Then post up here what you find out. Unless you grind off the rivet heads holding the float bowl in place, you can't access the jets to change them. It probably wouldn't do you much good anyways, if the jets aren't numbered, you don't know what size they are.

Yeah thats what its looking like. Anyway to take the plate out? Ill probably just end up ordering a mikuni 24mm on thursday

Take a look at the tech section on TBolt's website. This will give you a better understanding of what is going on. 

https://tboltusa.com/store/tech.php?pID=61/Simple+Guide+to+Jetting

If you don't want to screw around with the stock carb too much, you could probably just throw a carb kit on there.

https://tboltusa.com/store/tbparts-24mm-carb-kit-br-z50-crf50-xr50-pit-bikes-p-291.html

• Like 1

On 5/25/2017 at 5:53 PM, GVRider said:

Take a look at the tech section on TBolt's website. This will give you a better understanding of what is going on. 

https://tboltusa.com/store/tech.php?pID=61/Simple+Guide+to+Jetting

If you don't want to screw around with the stock carb too much, you could probably just throw a carb kit on there.

https://tboltusa.com/store/tbparts-24mm-carb-kit-br-z50-crf50-xr50-pit-bikes-p-291.html

Thank you for linking to tboltusa.com tech !! 

• Like 1