tail wiring question can i run from the battery directly to front brake switch?

Drz400 s model.

3 wires run to the tail light.  My white and black wire that runs power when the brake switch is engaged is the issue. i only have a front brake switch. i removed the foot brake switch a while ago due to some melted wires.  

about a week ago i had my old DRC edge crap out due to water in the housing. bought a new one and it works ( running and activating brake tested by swapping wires around)  but again i cant get power when i squeeze the brake lever. bought a new front switch still same issue.

Traced my wires from the rear as far as i could go into the harness before it briefly disappears under the tank and contemplate just replacing the entire wiring harness because i had a few spots where wires had melted in the past and i cleaned them up and re tapped them.

When i use a light bulb circuit tester, i attach the wire to the postive terminal and then i run the bulb pointer to the brake lever switch and the rear brake light will activate as it should.   this means i have a bad ground, no? ive checked every connector and everything looks fine

Can i get away with just running a wire directly from the battery to the switch with the other wires in place?  figure it might be a dumb question but im a novice with electrical.  figure i could run an inlinee fuse and everything should still work safel or would this cause a possible melting issue again?

And find a good complete harness from a newer low mileage bike to sometime replace the entire thing. If you've ever seen someone bike burning up on the side of the road you'll be a little concerned with a harness that has had a bunch of melted wires already . Once they start burning you'll never put it out , total loss just to save $100 (unless you have to pay someone to do all the work).

You asked if you have a bad ground.  From what you posted the answer is no.  When you apply power jumpered to the switch and active the switch you have light, so the problem is lack of power to the switch not lack of ground.  You can tap power from orange, brown, or gray. (brown and gray are powered from orange)  It sounds like a replacement wire harness is not a bad idea.