Who rebuilds dirtbikes in the PNW?

I like to think that I am a at least capable of "most" motorcycle repair jobs but this time, I might have to take it to someone with an actual title of "motorcycle mechanic". After countless oil changes done by yours truly, the threads stripped out of the motors oil resevoir. Most likely because I overtightened the bolt at one point. Irregardless, it looks like the motor has to be pulled and an insert put in to make things right. Since it is time to do the top end on it and add some new radiators, I thought I would ask you folks, who you would consider dropping your baby off to, to do the work? I have searched for a couple of years looking for the shop manual that goes with my bike but as of yet, I have come up empty handed. I can put the insert in no problem, but the motor has to be pulled and that sketches me out. I have never done a top end rebuild and fear I do not have the tools that the job would require. So my question to you guys : Who can I take it to that would get me back in the woods without worry, in a reasonable time period? I thought about Les Tinnius at LTR but I think he only does supension work these days. Please help me out, I know noone around here on Kitsap peninsula.:ride:

46 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

I like your posts, but "irregardless" isn't a word. Good luck with the rebuild. Post some pics.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irregardless

It is not a formal word, so please excuse me if I come off as a little backward. It is not my intention. Thanks for the heads up.

The magnetic bolt itself is an M12x1.5 pitch with the magnetic piece. It is in fine shape. The problem is with the threads in the motors oil pan. Due to the proximity of the drain, it would be impossible to do a "tap" on in without removing the motor. Turns out that the rear cross member is in the way. It only leaves about 4 inches of room between it and the sump drain.

IMG_0432.JPG

I rebuilt the engine in my '07 CRF250X by my self. I downloaded the manual and watched a video of a guy doing it so by step. I had no issue, saved a ton of money and learned so much about my bike. When I switch to SS valves I'll drop the top end of at Southbound Honda in Lakewood. Dale, the owner, runs a great shop over there and Mike in parts is great.

What kind of bike are you riding? That would be a good start to see if people are willing to help. I have personally rebuilt a few bikes except for the bottom ends in motors as I do not have the tools or knowledge on that but everything else for the most part I could help with

Little Jeff

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TahuyaRider said:

The magnetic bolt itself is an M12x1.5 pitch with the magnetic piece. It is in fine shape. The problem is with the threads in the motors oil pan. Due to the proximity of the drain, it would be impossible to do a "tap" on in without removing the motor. Turns out that the rear cross member is in the way. It only leaves about 4 inches of room between it and the sump drain.

IMG_0432.JPG

25 minutes ago, Little Jeff said:

What kind of bike are you riding? That would be a good start to see if people are willing to help. I have personally rebuilt a few bikes except for the bottom ends in motors as I do not have the tools or knowledge on that but everything else for the most part I could help with

Little Jeff

2015 KTM350EXC-F. I posted it in tags but it probably doesn't show up. I have tried to get a shop manual but evidently the 2015 is the only year that KTM has not made one available. I would give it a shot but I have a broken thumb currently and it has made it a little rough.:cripple:Thanks.

I rebuilt my first dirtbike engine @ 19 with no experience and nothing more than a good set of hand tools and a shop manual... after the guy at the shop wanted $1,000 and the whole summer to perform the work. He told me that i would likely fail and to bring him what was left and he'd fix it. One month later i fired that bike up rode it out of the shop... and for 6 years after until i sold it to a friend who rode it for 2 more before selling it again.  

All you need is the manuals, decent tools, a press, a clean space to work, and patience... lots of patience 

• Like 2

I had the same thing happen to my Husky. I tried the heli-coil fix, but it came out the first time I removed the drain plug. I ended up making an extension out of some aluminum round stock with internal threads for the drain plug and welding that to the bottom of the case.

• Like 1

Well here is an update: 

I got my hands on the shop manual and am doing the work myself. Looks like it is going to be easy to remove the engine and tap out the oil sump drain hole and insert a time-sert device. After that I will install new rings and check the top end for any unnusual wear. Then check valve clearances and adjust accordingly.  I have already dissasembled everything after draining all fluids. I will put new radiators and radiator protective braces and new guards. This whole process is actually fun! I guess doing the work yourself will pay off in the end anyway. I want to thank those of you who responded and gave your advice. I also am glad to hear others succeeded at doing the work on their bikes themselves, it really made me look deeper into my own capabilities. Oh and the actual factory manual is incredibly helpful. I'll see you on the trail!

• Like 1

I should also add that was a complete teardown ... i  had to split cases, replace one half, all new bearings, seals, gaskets, etc.. 

I probably can't offer more than moral support on this one but if you can read, follow directions, and be very meticulous about things youll be back in the woods in no time. Im in P.O. if i can be of any assistance... feel free to hit me up here. 

Edited by nailit69

3 hours ago, Slackkinhard said:

nobody has answered his question :)

Surprised? I'm not. I fixed it anyway. It was easy. 

• Like 1

I knew you could do it.  I'd have drilled it and retapped it and gone w a bigger plug. What method did you opt for? 

I'm guessing you didn't do the top end yet? If you did, good on you... that's fast.

Edited by nailit69

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:15 PM, HeavyRotation said:

I like your posts, but "irregardless" isn't a word. Good luck with the rebuild. Post some pics.

I have nothing to add to the topic, other than to tell you that your are wrong. Irregardless is a word. It's just not commonly used or accepted.

I have nothing to add to the topic, other than to tell you that your are wrong. Irregardless is a word. It's just not commonly used or accepted.

Ok it's a word. A word with two useless letters because "regardless" means the same thing. A nonsense word.

irregardless 

Used by people who ignorantly mean to say regardless. According to webster, it is a word, but since the prefix "ir" and the suffx "less" both mean "not or with" they cancel each other out, so what you end up with is regard. When you use this to try to say you don't care about something, you end up saying that you do. Of course everyone knows what you mean to say and only a pompous,rude &%$#@! will correct you.

Wife: "Irregardless is not a word, dummy" 
Husband: "Kiss my ass bitch! I'm still going to the strip club tonight!"

irregardless 

A word used by uneducated people intending to sound intelligent. Often, the defendant will use this word in court in an attempt to impress the judge and jury. Educated people notice and those who use this word instantly identify themselves to educated people as being uneducated. Educated people rarely correct them because it helps educated people more easily identify them if they are well groomed.

Uh... yes your Honor.... Irregardless of the the evidence, I was not the young man in the security video.

#earregardless #moron #idiot #stupid #blah #blahh

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HeavyRotation said:

Ok it's a word. A word with two useless letters because "regardless" means the same thing. A nonsense word.

9 hours ago, Heb said:

irregardless 

Used by people who ignorantly mean to say regardless. According to webster, it is a word, but since the prefix "ir" and the suffx "less" both mean "not or with" they cancel each other out, so what you end up with is regard. When you use this to try to say you don't care about something, you end up saying that you do. Of course everyone knows what you mean to say and only a pompous,rude &%$#@! will correct you.

Wife: "Irregardless is not a word, dummy" 
Husband: "Kiss my ass bitch! I'm still going to the strip club tonight!"

irregardless 

A word used by uneducated people intending to sound intelligent. Often, the defendant will use this word in court in an attempt to impress the judge and jury. Educated people notice and those who use this word instantly identify themselves to educated people as being uneducated. Educated people rarely correct them because it helps educated people more easily identify them if they are well groomed.

Uh... yes your Honor.... Irregardless of the the evidence, I was not the young man in the security video.

#earregardless #moron #idiot #stupid #blah #blahh

This is why I rarely get on this forum. When a couple of "dipshits" only want to persecute someone seeking help. I realize the uselessness of this forum and I go elsewhere. By your very nature I wouldn't want to ride with either one of you, and to sit in the comfort of my home and read your assinine posts solidifies my decision to stay away from forums in general. Have a nice day.

This is why I rarely get on this forum. When a couple of "dipshits" only want to persecute someone seeking help. I realize the uselessness of this forum and I go elsewhere. By your very nature I wouldn't want to ride with either one of you, and to sit in the comfort of my home and read your assinine posts solidifies my decision to stay away from forums in general. Have a nice day.

I'm under the impression personal attacks are verboten here. I was trying to help the dude in my first post, that sort of error really hurts people in professional communications. I'm glad not to ride with folks in general. I hope you have a better day.