Hey 

I just bought a 1999 honda cr250 and since I only weigh about 130 Pounds the front forks are WAY to stiff. the motocross track i ride on is mostly sand or gravel and even on those surfaces they are still to stiff. I have been trying to soften them up driving across my field and stopping only using the front brake but i still only get about a half inch of compression. Looking into changing the fork oil but putting less is any recommendations on how much to put in? or is there maybe something else wrong?

Fork oil level only affects the last 1/3rd of the fork travel, altering how progressively stiffer they get near full bottoming.

It's simple, at 130lbs there's no way around it, you need softer springs

as the stock springs are likely intended for a 160-180lbs rider.

Worn bushings may also allow some binding which makes the forks feel harsh/stiff.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Forks may be mis aligned ( search Google)

1 hour ago, mlatour said:

Fork oil level only affects the last 1/3rd of the fork travel, altering how progressively stiffer they get near full bottoming.

Worn bushings may also allow some binding which makes the forks feel harsh/stiff.

19 minutes ago, mog said:

I know the forks from 97-99 were stiff but my cousins stock cr forks will move MUCH more than mine even with me riding his bike.

Ill look into the mis alignment and bushings though

• Like 1

On 5/8/2017 at 5:36 AM, CRJohnny said:

IMG_2597.PNG

On 5/7/2017 at 5:17 PM, mog said:

On 5/7/2017 at 4:32 PM, mlatour said:

Finally got a chance to work on my bike 

There was no misalignment and none the bushings were worn

I would at least like to try to fix the problem with just changing the oil. What would be the minimum amount  I could put in the forks? (10 weight oil) 

Edited by osten

Why 10wt when 5 is the norm

On 5/8/2017 at 5:36 AM, CRJohnny said:

IMG_2597.PNG

Just got new Honda fork oil today and just to be safe I'm going to ask this question that I should know

Are those amounts of oil for one shock each or do I divide that amount in both the forks? 

Also is it safe to put slightly less oil in just because I am so light? 

Edited by osten

Amts shown are for EACH fork. I am 195lbs and use 320 cc for each to add plushness in the woods. You should be fine with 300.  It is much easier to add oil than it is to remove it. Start low and see how things work.

• Like 1