Review of two hitch carrier from Discount Ramps

Hi all,

I've had this for about a year now and thought I would share some comments.

I needed something to transport my CRF250x and my son's CRF70.     I have a Ford F150 with the factory tow package which allows a max tongue weight of 500lbs.  I wanted to keep the bed open for other gear or cargo and that's what led me to the dual hitch carrier.

There are many dual hitch carriers on the market. I bought the cheapest one I could find from Discountramps.com for $249.99.  At the time they had a free shipping promotion.  Shipment arrived within a couple of days.  It required assembly which was pretty straightforward.

First task was to drive it from PA to VA to pick up my CRF250x.  Once loaded,you can't see the bike very well behind you but you can see the handlebars from one of the rearview mirrors.  I would periodically check and make sure it was still upright.  It was about a 180 mile trip on I81 at 70mph.  It handled that fine and there were no issues.

Next task was to load up my son's CRF70 as well and take it to AOAA.  That's about a 90 minute trip, on some bumpy back roads and I81.  The 250x is about 250 lbs, and the 70 is about 130 lbs.  Well within the advertised cited 600lb weight limit of the carrier.

HOWEVER, this was a noticeable difference in ride quality and steering with two bikes.  The truck felt very light on the front end, and each bump felt like I was going through a huge pothole.  I stopped and checked the positioning of the bikes a few times,  tightening the straps and adjusting things.  I loaded the cfr70 as the last bike since it was the lightest.  BUT, when I pulled into the AOAA parking lot, the 70 was lying down as one of the straps came loose!  Oops.  The tray where the bikes are loaded is not really set up for a short wheelbase bike like the 70 so it is not as inherently secure as the larger bike.  Since then I have added more straps and it has remained secure.  

I got used to the poor ride quality and just took it easy and we used it all last summer and winter in this configuration without any trouble.  Then my son outgrew the 70 this spring and started riding a TTR125 which weighs almost 200 pounds.  Now, as you can imagine, since I didn't like the way the truck handled with the 250 and 70, I knew it would really be a poor ride with the 250 and 125 loaded.  And it is.  Total weight is roughly 450lbs, again well within the 600lb limit, but man, does it ever steer and ride like crap!

Overall I like this hitch carrier as a ONE BIKE carrier, a job it does really well.  At various times I have had either just my 250x or just my son's bike on the back, and you don't even notice it is there.  It has served its purpose for our relatively short drives into coal country to ride.  But I would NOT want to load up both bikes and go on a long cross country with the thing, that's just too uncomfortable, slow, and worrisome.

So, I'm on the lookout for a trailer as I still prefer to keep the bed open for other stuff.  I still plan to keep and use this carrier as it is really convenient for single bike trips. 

Here are a few pics, with either just my bike, or with both.  Hope this helps some of you looking at dual hitch racks.

250x.JPG

250x and 70.jpg

IMG_2391.JPG

IMG_2392.JPG

• Like 1

I've often thought about obtaining one of these as it would be nice to leave the trailer home on occasion. I would do the same, most expensive bike (mine) closest to the truck lol. 

A couple years ago my roommate and I used this exact thing. I was in college and only had a Civic, and he had a Suburban, so this was our cheapest option. I didn't want to spend all the money on a trailer. He had a CR250 and I had a CRF450. We only took 45 minute trips to the trail heads so nothing too long. This thing does work but it is very sketchy at times with two full sized bikes just like the OP mentions.

• Like 1

Yep.  Like when filling up the truck with gas and the guy using the pump next to you says "is it supposed to droop like that?"  :wacko:

Edited by RDTH

14 hours ago, Flagstaff said:

Leverage. 500# tongue weight is at the ball, not 2-3' out.

This! Heaviest bike ALWAYS nearest the truck but I would never use a two bike carrier. And I always tie my straps so it is impossible for them to loosen.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ud_Luz said:

I just installed a front trailer hitch and have a carrier fore and aft. Works well. 

That sounds interesting.  What kind of vehicle?  Does the weight on the front end affect the handling of the vehicle or engine cooling or visibility?  Post a pic if you can.

1 hour ago, RDTH said:

That sounds interesting.  What kind of vehicle?  Does the weight on the front end affect the handling of the vehicle or engine cooling or visibility?  Post a pic if you can.

I have it on an 04 Tundra, a Suburban 2500 and our motorhome. Way less handling impact than the dual carrier plus it's really pushing most Class III hitches with the fulcrum weight of two bikes. I personally would never use one unless I had a Class IV hitch. It has little impact on visibility with the exception of blocking the headlights to varying degrees depending on the vehicle. I've been using them for 30+ years. Another added benefit is it's really easy to park trailers in very tight places. 

Many hitch manufacturers have hitches for the front of trucks, Suburbans, Tahoes, Expeditions and such. 

• Like 1

Thanks I never thought about mounting one on the front.  I might look into that for my F150.  That would be a great way to haul two bikes and still keep the bed open for camping gear and other stuff.

When we were new to DB back in the early 70's we had these wire hoop things that hung on the chrome bumpers that cars used to have. You put each wheel in them and they worked pretty much like the ramps of today. Wife and I put a bike front and rear and still had a boat hitched up to go to our lake place. Wish I had some pics, had to be a funny sight! Chevy Impala, company car at that. Its a wonder I didn't get fired at some point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YHGEORGE said:

When we were new to DB back in the early 70's we had these wire hoop things that hung on the chrome bumpers that cars used to have. You put each wheel in them and they worked pretty much like the ramps of today. Wife and I put a bike front and rear and still had a boat hitched up to go to our lake place. Wish I had some pics, had to be a funny sight! Chevy Impala, company car at that. Its a wonder I didn't get fired at some point.

I still have a set of those in the garage. I'd completely forgotten about them.