'17 350RR-S Springs

I just swapped out my springs and shock for one size stiffer, should have gone two sizes.  The front feels good but the rear still feels like it needs more firmness.  Has anyone gone up two (or whatever) sizes in the rear and only went up one in the front?  I know it's best to go up/down equally.  I did change some compression and rebound which helped but I still think I'd like to go up another size in the rear.

BTW...I weigh 195 without gear.  Gear weighs another 25-30 lbs, so 220-225ish with gear.

TIA everyone...

By the chart you should be close, but personally I'd of gone up 2 sizes front and back.  So what are your sag numbers?

rrsspringchart.PNG

13 minutes ago, Danceswithtrees said:

By the chart you should be close, but personally I'd of gone up 2 sizes front and back.  So what are your sag numbers?

rrsspringchart.PNG

Think my sag is 100mm.  So two Beta dealers told me to err on the side of softness cuz all I do is trail ride.  My local Beta dealer set my sag but the rear shock preload is almost at the bottom of the sleeve.

14 minutes ago, justin330i said:

Think my sag is 100mm.  So two Beta dealers told me to err on the side of softness cuz all I do is trail ride.  My local Beta dealer set my sag but the rear shock preload is almost at the bottom of the sleeve.

Need to know your static and race sag to determine if your shock spring is correct.  I'm betting it's soft.  I'm 170 geared up and I'm using the stock 5.4 shock spring on my 17 390 Race (5.4 185-199 lbs) which by the chart should be too stiff but my numbers are 35 static and 100 race which is right on the money.

5 minutes ago, Danceswithtrees said:

Need to know your static and race sag to determine if your shock spring is correct.  I'm betting it's soft.  I'm 170 geared up and I'm using the stock 5.4 shock spring on my 17 390 Race (5.4 185-199 lbs) which by the chart should be too stiff but my numbers are 35 static and 100 race which is right on the money.

Thx.  Since the dealer set my sag, I'm betting it's close to yours.  They didn't tell me the numbers and I didn't ask...stupid me.  The real answer here is I need to lose weight!  Then my spring selection will be spot on.  ;o)

You have to also account for height of the rider as well.

If you are over 5'10" then you need to go up another weight on the rear, I have found, on the newer/smaller cockpit bikes like the KTM and BETA. 

The cockpit is small, so unless you sit in the 'attack' position all the time, which is a very cramped locatation on the newer bikes...you will never get the sag correct using the chart.

I feel the BETA's light front end yet a small cockpit make for a need for a stiffer rear sping in order to get the sag numbers you desire. 

I believe that chart to be off by one, when it comes to rear spring weight.

• Like 2

Thx.  Since the dealer set my sag, I'm betting it's close to yours.  They didn't tell me the numbers and I didn't ask...stupid me.  The real answer here is I need to lose weight!  Then my spring selection will be spot on.  ;o)

You couldn't be more wrong. Losing weight is never the answer. That's why there are so many mods available.... Fitness, weight, and skill are cop outs people use to justify not buying stuff that will make them better riders. You're welcome.

• Like 1