My '15 yz250fx has developed what I thought was a valve tap from being out of adjustment, however I checked and reshimmed to make sure everything was in spec and all is good. Put back together and still there. What else would cause this tapping noise?

It does sound like a rotational tick (excessive valve clearance).

Wrist pin or piston slap or usually affected by engine acceleration load, and deceleration.

Excessive valve clearance tick will increase and decrease with the engine rpm's, and isn't affected by throttle load.

Maybe go back and check your clearance again, and also see if the cam followers (lifters) have any detectable side to side clearance in their bore.

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, WALKINGWOUNDED said:

It does sound like a rotational tick (excessive valve clearance).

Wrist pin or piston slap or usually affected by engine acceleration load, and deceleration.

Excessive valve clearance tick will increase and decrease with the engine rpm's, and isn't affected by throttle load.

Maybe go back and check your clearance again, and also see if the cam followers (lifters) have any detectable side to side clearance in their bore.

I would only add that piston slap can be hard to hear distinctly at higher rpm. It becomes more of a whir sound. Sorry I didn't listen because I can never make much out by an audio recording.

You can check one side of your crank by removing the stator cover and feeling the crank end for play.

Edited by mikea 2

2 hours ago, mikea 2 said:

I would only add that piston slap can be hard to hear distinctly at higher rpm. It becomes more of a whir sound. Sorry I didn't listen because I can never make much out by an audio recording.

I have customers call me at work with a turn over, but no start condition with their car.

They'll hold their phone out of the car window, and near the hood, and say: can you hear that, it won't start, what's wrong with it, and how much will it cost?

I'm touched they think I'm that good lol.

• Like 1

On 2017-05-07 at 9:08 PM, mmmm waffles said:

My '15 yz250fx has developed what I thought was a valve tap from being out of adjustment, however I checked and reshimmed to make sure everything was in spec and all is good. Put back together and still there. What else would cause this tapping noise?

waffles, did you find something since ?

I have customers call me at work with a turn over, but no start condition with their car.
They'll hold their phone out of the car window, and near the hood, and say: can you hear that, it won't start, what's wrong with it, and how much will it cost?
I'm touched they think I'm that good lol.

Im an electrician, get similar phone calls. My most common answer .....

2 weeks, $10K.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, XRalways said:

Im an electrician, get similar phone calls. My most common answer .....

2 weeks, $10K.

I've had fun with that too.