CRF250X to YZ250X

I'm considering getting either a 2016 or 2017 YZ250X in the near future and was hoping to get some opinions.  I'm 6'-2" 200 lbs and currently ride a 2007 CRF250X.   I've had the bike for a little over two years and it has enough power for the type of riding I do (woods riding, slower technical), but I've always disliked how heavy the bike feels when trying to maneuver it at slower speeds.  Can anyone attest to how much of a difference 30 lbs makes (YZ is 224 and CRF is 254)?  And does the YZ250X have good low end for the slower stuff?  The trails I ride are windy and usually muddy, so I'm concerned the YZ250X will be too much for this type of terrain.  I don't want to be spinning the rear wheel constantly.  I've only ridden 4 strokes, so I'm also accustomed to the engine braking,  which is nice on the tight turns (because I often don't need to use the brakes).  Is the YZ250X going to wear me out?  BTW, I don't ride very aggressive and would consider myself a fast C/slow B.  

Edited by mossman77

I can give some thoughts about this. My son has a CRF250X. The Honda chassis is really good, the front is amazingly stable, but the engine is crap. It feel so detuned to me. Even with the pink wire mode etc.. you have to almost put a new R head on. I have a Yz450fx that doesn't weight much more then the CRF. I've trimmed a few things..... anyways we sold the CRF and bought a YZ 250X. I put a Flywheel weight and lower gearing on the yz250x. The YZ is a great bike. I love how light it is. Sure there can be some wheel spin, but it has so much more power then the CRF. In my opinion it's easier to manage in the tight technical stuff, it lugs really well. I've had had no issues there. There is only a few down side to the two stroke, because I've never had one either. It vibrates and on longer rides you feel it. If you do under 40 miles no sweat, but when you get over that you can feel it. I have put on Flexx bars and they help a lot. I wouldn't ride without them unless it was a 17 KTM. Also there are times I miss engine breaking, but have adapted pretty well. You will feel when riding a two stroke the bike get away from you. You will use your front brake more then you ever have compared to a 4T . Just rode the Kenda National Hare and Hound, 107 miles of hell..there were some areas I was so grateful I wasn't on my 450FX. They have their good and bad, but the YZ250x is so nimble and is really fun and I definitely can feel the 30 pound difference from my FX. You can't go wrong with the YZ250X, it's a solid bike, and the suspension is great out of the box.

No disrespect to the Honda, but I feel like it's the same jump from a CRF230 to CRF250X as it is to the CRF250X to the Yz250X..... YZ is better in everything. I also have a 230 that my wife rides.

• Like 3

I just got a 17 yz250x. It's amazing. I'm 6'8 250, and it acts like I'm not even on it. It's so awesome. Obviously you need the 17 for the black wheels too. I adjusted the bars and it's not too cramped. I'm getting a tall seat and it'll be perfect.

I have a ktm 990 so I was a super lazy rider coming into it and it wasn't too hard on me. It will definitely beat the hell out of you if you want it to though. Third gear on it is so good. I ride mostly trails and I leave it in third for all of it.

Thanks fellas.  I started with a 230F three years ago and moved up to a 250x after a year.  HUGE difference all around.  The 230F was a good beginner's bike though.   I think starting out on a 250x would have been too much.   I should've mentioned that the trails I ride keep me in second most of the time, often 1st, and rarely 3rd.  What exactly is the issue with the vibration?  It makes your arms numb? 

Edited by mossman77

I have around 3500 miles on my yz250x and this is the first I've heard of vibration problems....I mean it does have a running engine but it's nothing like a KTM 300...   

The yz250x will lug and chug all day...  this is my 250x going turtle speed..

Edited by Nevada Al
  • Like 2

Thanks fellas.  I started with a 230F three years ago and moved up to a 250x after a year.  HUGE difference all around.  The 230F was a good beginner's bike though.   I think starting out on a 250x would have been too much.   I should've mentioned that the trails I ride keep me in second most of the time, often 1st, and rarely 3rd.  What exactly is the issue with the vibration?  It makes your arms numb? 

You might not notice it. If you go on rides and you ride for long rides without breaks you will notice it. You can feel it in your arms. If your having fun taking some breaks and just having a good time, probably won't matter. Like I said I have never owned a 2T until this one. I was use to the smoothness of a 4T with very little vibration. It's funny you ask guys that have the 2T in their blood, they don't even notice it, but that's not been my past. As I mentioned, it's on non stop rides. Plus you kinda have to train your hands not to hold so tight. Previous poster mentioned KTM, I've ridden my brothers ktm 2013 and my friends 2016 XC, I personally think the Yamaha has slightly more. Maybe older ktm,that's true.

Believe me I'm a 2-stroke guy at heart and, actually prefer Yamaha's way of designing bikes over Honda but,

for the type of riding I do (real tricky, off-camber etc. terrain where I drop the bike every 10 minutes or so attempting to climb stuff)

no matter how easy it is to kick over I'm not sure I'd give up the E-start of my CRF250X to jump to a YZ250X just yet.

I'd likely hold on to my CRF for a while until I was sure that I can handle the YZ.  Or keep both so I have the option of which one to ride based on the terrain I'll be tackling that particular day.  

Edited by mossman77

23 hours ago, Nevada Al said:

I have around 3500 miles on my yz250x and this is the first I've heard of vibration problems....I mean it does have a running engine but it's nothing like a KTM 300...   

The yz250x will lug and chug all day...  this is my 250x going turtle speed..

Did you have the clutch pulled in on that entire descent? 

15 minutes ago, mossman77 said:

I'm not familiar with Sherco.  Who makes that?

Sherco Motorcycles is a French bike manufacturer: http://shercocanada.ca/

For a long time my 'if I win the lottery' bike had been a Beta X-Trainer 300,

but more and more a Sherco 250 SE-R 2-stroke has risen to the top of the wish list.

15 minutes ago, mlatour said:

Sherco Motorcycles is a French bike manufacturer: http://shercocanada.ca/

For a long time my 'if I win the lottery' bike had been a Beta X-Trainer 300,

but more and more a Sherco 250 SE-R 2-stroke has risen to the top of the wish list.

I like the look/sound of the Sherco bikes.   Any dealers on the east coast?

The link I posted was their Canadian website,

here's the USA one,

http://shercooffroad.com/dealerships/

there looks to be a dealer in West Virginia

What's interesting with the Sherco 2-strokes is a handlebar mounted 'mapping' switch controling the powervalve.

By all accounts, in the 'soft' setting the power is really mellow to help you out of low traction situations.

Edited by mlatour

1 minute ago, Nevada Al said:

Not sure what you mean... but yeah .. as opposed to what?

As opposed to modulating it.  I was just wondering if the bike could stay running at that slow speed without holding in the clutch or modulating the clutch.