You never know how fast you can go until you crash

How fast you can go is slightly slower. :lol:

I used to be much more interested in finding out, but decided ignorance is bliss. :ride:

• Like 3

Certainly.

I had a buddy absolutely caning me with a surprising turn of speed at the start of the last trail ride we went on. Very shortly he was making mistakes, missing turns, deflecting.

Its very easy to pass someone when they miss a turn. by then I was warming up so it was all over for him.

• Like 1

So make sure you take a good soil sample at least every 20-40 riding hours to get an accurate assessment.

• Like 5

if youre not crashing, you're not riding hard enough

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti

Funny enough I crash WAAAYY more going slow than at speed.

• Like 4

I slowed down a year or so ago because it seemed like sometimes when I crashed really bad I broke some part of my body.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, SenorThumpy said:

if youre not crashing, you're not riding hard enough

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti

Funny enough I crash WAAAYY more going slow than at speed.

I prefer the Dungey tactic. Ride as much as you can. Ride fast but not on ragged edge. Ride around them when they make mistakes. If they aren't as fit as you it will happen.

Mwahaha.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BushPig said:

I prefer the Dungey tactic. Ride as much as you can. Ride fast but not on ragged edge. Ride around them when they make mistakes. If they aren't as fit as you it will happen.

Mwahaha.

Or just follow your team mate and ask for the easy win :) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TomTopDog12 said:

I feel that you need to be in control of the bike, if you're not......get ready to test the dirt for how good of a pack it is.

Fast, slow, you're still going to wreck at times.  Like this afternoon, I was riding out behind the house, was in a sand wash and went to turn too fast and plop...washout.  That was an OK wreck, it was like landing on a pillow.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, William1 said:

You only need to go fast enough to be in front.

I ride alone, in the boonies, which is another reason not to crash.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Flagstaff said:

I ride alone, in the boonies, which is another reason not to crash.

I ride alone, in the boonies, too, and still sometimes crash.  Fortunately my really bad wrecks have been with others.

• Like 1

Just now, cjjeepercreeper said:

I ride alone, in the boonies, too, and still sometimes crash.  Fortunately my really bad wrecks have been with others.

Don't ride alone :( that's just boring...

1 hour ago, NEGbrap said:

Or just follow your team mate and ask for the easy win :) 

I think he proved that he can run a good pace and keep it upright when he was reasonably surrounded by riders who wanted him off on the weekend.

Next year, I believe, will be the book of Eli.

5 minutes ago, TomTopDog12 said:

Don't ride alone :( that's just boring...

No, just different. You cant push as hard. But it is certainly more relaxing. Meditative almost.

20 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Fast, slow, you're still going to wreck at times.  Like this afternoon, I was riding out behind the house, was in a sand wash and went to turn too fast and plop...washout.  That was an OK wreck, it was like landing on a pillow.

I agree. But pushing hard in corners and hitting jumps that you wouldnt normally  do is a good way to end up at ER very easy, as opposed to a solitary weekday or weekend put-put.

• Like 1

Just now, BushPig said:

I think he proved that he can run a good pace and keep it upright when he was reasonably surrounded by riders who wanted him off on the weekend.

Next year, I believe, will be the book of Eli.

No, just different. You cant push as hard. But it is certainly more relaxing. Meditative almost.

I agree. But pushing hard in corners and hitting jumps that you wouldnt normally  do is a good way to end up at ER very easy, as opposed to a solitary weekday or weekend put-put.

Anytime i ride alone it's not as fun. I like riding in groups. To each their own i guess

1 minute ago, TomTopDog12 said:

Anytime i ride alone it's not as fun. I like riding in groups. To each their own i guess

Groups are definitely more fun. You push harder because your buddies do, you get to BS and bench race with your mates and you get to watch dirtbikes (I prefer to sweep for this reason).

But they dont always want to ride 2, 3 times a week. If you want to test changes or practice somethin specific an hour or two here and there on your own is awesome. Try it.

19 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Hadn't thought about it until now, but my worse crashes have been riding alone, including the ones with broken bones.

Riding with others must slow me down, or provide a good example. :excuseme:

• Like 2

Still recovering from crash last summer at a harescramble.  High speed front end wash.  Hurt shoulder but tore a tendon in my inner thigh :thumbsdn: shoulder was hurt couple weeks but tendon still bothering me . Only left hand corners tho lol :ride: