Jump to content

84 CR60 help

Recommended Posts

I recently picked up a 84 Cr60.  Looks like a great project to restore.  Paid a hundred bucks for it.  I have one giant problem.  I can't find a piston for it.  I read an article about how they used a kx 65 piston and I'm curious if a kx 60 piston would work.  Is there anyone who can tell me if they have done this?  I've seen a few old posts but no one ever follows up one their project work.  I've got this bike torn all the way down, I've cleaned all of the parts.  I'm working on restoring the plastics.  Any help with this is appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update. I picked up a kx60 piston. It is a Wiseco 43.5 mm. I took it to my local guys who do all my heads. I had the original piston with me. They said it would be an easy conversion. I dropped it off at 10 am and had a phone call at 4pm saying my head was bored and piston ready to go. $63 total. I got it home and started the process of putting it all back together. The original base gadget was still in good shape so I decided to use it. The top compression gasket is original. I cleaned it up and put copper coat on it. I got it all out back together and the piston was a bit tall. Knocking when I cranked it over by hand. I took it apart and I made a paper gasket out of 1/32 gasket material and stacked it on my original. No more dings! Put it all back together and I waited to put on my gear shifter until last. BAD idea! I had to take all the motor mounts off right side foot pedal and brake just so I could get that shifter on. Do shifter 1st! Anyhow I put it all together and I couldn't get it to start. In my rich of excitement I just threw on the carb without going through it and the slide wasn't seated correctly. At 130 AM I decided to sleep on it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next morning I took off the carb. Cleaned the jets. (Plugged of coarse). Then I put the petcock assembly together on the tank and guess what it leaks now! It has a gasket that I flipped over and it stopped the leak. I got the slide on the carb to seat properly. I knew I had the golden ticket now! Wait! I decided to drain out all of the old crank case oil and start fresh. I did that and decided to fire it up. BAM!! 1st kick on choke I had signs of life. Turned off the choke and fired right up. I adjusted the idle and let it run for 5 minutes. Purrs like a kitten. I am waiting to get my seat cover and I just put new grips on. But her is my almost completed 1984 Honda CR60IMG_0721.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good looking cr60 how did everrything work out? Update us! I picked up a 83cr 60 for a hundred dollar bill. And restored it. Let me know how that piston worked out in the long run. 

Screenshot_20171225-183121.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the after math brought back to life. Wet sanded the plastics and they came out great! Re did the seat put some new rubber on her and she runs like a dream

20171225_182955.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did this one about 10 years ago. Took me around 5 years to find all the parts to build it as it was in boxes and only about 75% there when I bought it. Took me 6 months or so if I remember right. Fun and fast little bike. Sold it after it was finished and moved on to the next project. 

IMG_3028.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2017 at 2:48 PM, Raricks345 said:

Next morning I took off the carb. Cleaned the jets. (Plugged of coarse). Then I put the petcock assembly together on the tank and guess what it leaks now! It has a gasket that I flipped over and it stopped the leak. I got the slide on the carb to seat properly. I knew I had the golden ticket now! Wait! I decided to drain out all of the old crank case oil and start fresh. I did that and decided to fire it up. BAM!! 1st kick on choke I had signs of life. Turned off the choke and fired right up. I adjusted the idle and let it run for 5 minutes. Purrs like a kitten. I am waiting to get my seat cover and I just put new grips on. But her is my almost completed 1984 Honda CR60IMG_0721.JPG

I want the blue looking thing sat between those two Hondas 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Did this one about 10 years ago. Took me around 5 years to find all the parts to build it as it was in boxes and only about 75% there when I bought it. Took me 6 months or so if I remember right. Fun and fast little bike. Sold it after it was finished and moved on to the next project. 
IMG_3028.JPG.3a3cc4865e8005229c6d952614b800bf.JPG

dang...that's nice...was going to ask if it was for sale when I saw the pic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sofiedog said:


dang...that's nice...was going to ask if it was for sale when I saw the pic!

Thank you! I regret selling it. Saw it a quite a few years later on craigslist... beat to hell with a bent frame. I was pretty bummed out after all the work I put into it.

I should have just kept it and made it a garage ornament...

 

Edited by RK-REX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, RK-REX said:

Thank you! I regret selling it. Saw it a quite a few years later on craigslist... beat to hell with a bent frame. I was pretty bummed out after all the work I put into it.

I should have just kept it and made it a garage ornament...

 

Thats what I'm doing with mine for the time being! Some one offered me 300 bucks for it. No way am I letting it go for that! 

15418577705058173120041453018480.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thats what I'm doing with mine for the time being! Some one offered me 300 bucks for it. No way am I letting it go for that! 
15418577705058173120041453018480.jpg.caca1ae066a2e9e22bfa5048efbf1eed.jpg

nice...if you ever clear out your garage, let me know...I think that would make a fun bike to run around the pits at VMX races!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×