2002 yz250f possible TPS failure?

Started the bike. Warmed it up. Went to ride out of garage and it died and wont start back up. Grabbed my meter after looking around on the internet. Foi d tolerance specs for the ohm tolerances.

What i have for readings is.

- Full open. 4.2k ohms

- Full closed. .449k ohms.

The tolerance for full closed is 0 to -3k ohms.

Just seeing what y'all think. Thanks in advance.

- Jeff

These bikes will run with the TPS disconnected.

It just modifies the ignition timing slightly for 0/part/full throttle. 

Hmm alright. Well ill be pulling the carb apart tonight to make sure all my jets arent plugged. I also saw that of the accelerator pump diaphragm gets messed up. You can run into problems there as well. For it not wanting to start.

It's a 15 year old bike. Check your basics before you start throwing parts at it. It will start and run with a poor acceleration pump diaphragm. 

It wont start with no spark, blocked jets, poor cam timing. 

• Like 2

Well it started before just fine. So ill be checking the jets. I couldn't see the cam timing all of a sudden jumping out of the blue

I remember reading something about the early ones suddenly sheering the crankshaft keyway.  

Interesting. Never seen that happen. Ill do some more digging on that. but when i get to the shop tomorrow the carb will get gone through. Hopefully that isnt a common thing to have happen.

So i cleaned the carb. Blew all the jets out. Put the carb back in and it fired on second kick. Now it wont start back up. Thoughts?

I've seen a similar issue on another bike where the mesh filter inside the tank was almost completely blocked. only allowing a very small flow of fuel to the carb bowl would start if fuel tap was left on for some time but would soon stall because of it using the fuel faster than it would fill. 

I also had a intermittent starting and running issue with my 04 wr few days ago and it was just something as simple as a plug not correctly fitted. 

I agree with 2banga check your basics. 

Flow from tank is solid. Carb is cleaned. Put a new needle and seat in it. Has spark and compression. Going to be checking timing next.