My first 250x ride report (coming off xr400)

Long time XR fan here, I never thought I'd see the day where I'd be liquid cooled. But needing the magic button here I am on an 04 crf250x. I'd like to announce I'm real happy with my x. My first ride was a NETRA Turkey Run put on by the Hoot Owl Scramblers. The terrain was sand mixed with rock and some hills and tons of mud. We got about 2" of rain before the event so you know how that makes the trails. At least it was dry the day of the event. I clocked in about 60 miles of the gnarliest terrain that I can handle. Pounding thru jagged rocks on up hills so slippery and steep, you would be afraid to lose your momentum, so grab a hand full!! The crf took it all like a champ. The suspension sucked up the fast sanded whoops far better than my xr ever could. For the first time my club members didn't blow me away, I kept pace with them all day with there 2 stroke orange bikes. I was really impressed at how my new pierlli mt-16 front hooked up with the conditions and my back Bridgestone was kicking ass too! My first impression is this bike is really light compared to my xr4, suspension was worlds better and the power delivery although totally different became easier to get used to as the ride went on. Go team Honda!!!

B0E0F9E5-F8BC-4F5A-B610-FF47AE01F99B_zps07mgjlm6.jpg
DEAEB2CB-1377-4591-B8CA-EE36D8A0BCD4_zpsluxcj4gi.jpg
CB265AB8-A7BC-4268-B787-96274EE4A7FF_zpsj2bvnvp3.jpg
CB265AB8-A7BC-4268-B787-96274EE4A7FF_zpsj2bvnvp3.jpg
6C75DEF4-F067-4FEF-8D0C-3C76F06E61A5_zpslhg1paar.jpg
Best of all I wasn't the one that needed liquid cooled maintenance out on the trail
53D0C615-EB30-44B5-930B-337996EFA3EA_zpsq7p3a8ij.jpg
CF6A4E63-51DD-4942-BAC4-80769AC64836_zps0flfvly4.jpg

• Like 2

Sounds like you had fun!

On the suspension, make sure you get springs suited to your weight and the sag set correctly to allow it to work well.  Some also consider a re-valve for enduro/woods riding as well.

The other thing I would verify is if the air box was cut and it re-jetted.

These mods are the most critical.

Hope you continue to enjoy the new bike,

Jim.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a X or a WR but I don't want to part with my XR due to the fact that I love the power delivery, low maintenance, and lugging around anywhere anytime and making short work of gnarly rutted rock infested hill climbs. Did you keep your XR? Plus, I can't decide between a 250 or a 450.

Open territory favors the 450. Good luck Mr Poe, the 250X is probably the most underated offroad bike made today. I think the fact that it still has a carb is the thing holding it back. A little heavy but it carries the weight very well and is still reliable as anything made and better than most. The later models do have several engine improvements.

6 hours ago, WWalker said:

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a X or a WR but I don't want to part with my XR due to the fact that I love the power delivery, low maintenance, and lugging around anywhere anytime and making short work of gnarly rutted rock infested hill climbs. Did you keep your XR? Plus, I can't decide between a 250 or a 450.

Early dyno reports showed X torque less that a XR400 but more horsepower. I'm a long time XR rider and I have a CRF250X and view it a worthy successor to the XRs, but being based on a MX bike it is not quite an XR. But there are fixes. If you ride open terrain and like hot throttle response do the CCC mods and JD Jetting. If you you ride more gnarly consider not rejetting and adding a flywheel. You can also unplug the TPS and throttle response will be more like an XR when trail riding. I also revalved my forks and will shortly do the shock. I also treid a "R" header and Yosh exhaust, but for my type of riding I'm now on stock X exhaust. I also added a TrailTech fan.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

Open territory favors the 450. Good luck Mr Poe, the 250X is probably the most underated offroad bike made today. I think the fact that it still has a carb is the thing holding it back. A little heavy but it carries the weight very well and is still reliable as anything made and better than most. The later models do have several engine improvements.

Not trying to start a debate - just my observation.

With the exception of KTMs, it's really not any heavier than comparable bikes.  I have a 2015, which is 254 pounds stock (wet/ready to ride, with fuel).  With a lighter silencer, lithium battery, smog removal, and other mods, it has shed about 8 pounds.  The KTM 250 XCW is 220 pounds, without fuel.  Add fuel (2.5 gal.) to the KTM and it is around 238 pounds.  Now, the difference is around 8 pounds between the two bikes.

I love my X.  

Edited by doomaflotchy
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Chuck. said:

Early dyno reports showed X torque less that a XR400 but more horsepower. I'm a long time XR rider and I have a CRF250X and view it a worthy successor to the XRs, but being based on a MX bike it is not quite an XR. But there are fixes. If you ride open terrain and like hot throttle response do the CCC mods and JD Jetting. If you you ride more gnarly consider not rejetting and adding a flywheel. You can also unplug the TPS and throttle response will be more like an XR when trail riding. I also revalved my forks and will shortly do the shock. I also treid a "R" header and Yosh exhaust, but for my type of riding I'm now on stock X exhaust. I also added a TrailTech fan.

Def ride more gnarly stuff than wide open which is why I have come to love the smooth predictable power of the XR. Thanks for the input, Chuck.

14 hours ago, Chuck. said:

Good advice Chuck. Rejetting is not mandatory.

OK, I did a search and a late model 250X is nowhere to be found in my region. I may try one but I want as new as possible. Not many out there regardless of age.

1 hour ago, WWalker said:

Def ride more gnarly stuff than wide open which is why I have come to love the smooth predictable power of the XR. Thanks for the input, Chuck.

Then I suggest starting with stock jetting but do the AP mods (early X) and make sure the AP is squirting correctly.

Then add the heaviest aftemarket flywheel, it makes the engine wonderful in the slow and/or slippery stuff.

Keep the X header for bottom end.

Disconnect the TPS, leave the pink wire connected.

I added a TrailTech fan and Vapor.

IMO this engine is fantastic; it has such a broad smooth power band. Mine is geared up because it is plated and I do almost all trail riding in 2nd gear. 

Xs can be hard to find, when I bought mine the classifieds had 4-5 times as many Rs as Xs.

Edited by Chuck.
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, dogeddie said:

Good advice Chuck. Rejetting is not mandatory.

I'd disagree with that a bit; they come so lean, it makes the motor run hot.   I'd rejet not because of power, but to keep the motor cooler and have less running issues with being right on the borderline.

Jim.

• Like 1

The motor is designed with a radiator to keep the engine at a healthy temp. We don't want to go down this road again. If it was air cooled I might agree with you. You are smarter than me Jim, but I disagree with the "gotta rejet" for every new owner that comes here.

Edited by dogeddie