2000 YZ250 Thoughts?

Looking at getting a used bike in the 2k or under range. I came across this bike locally and wanted to see what you guys think. The guy buys, rebuilds and sells bikes as a side job. Says he has receipts for all parts. Bottom end was recent when he got it and he put a new top end. Looks very clean.

https://maine.craigslist.org/snw/6100771463.html

How is parts availability on these older bikes? Anything hard to find? Anything notable wrong with the 2k year? I know price varies by area but does it seem like a generally good deal? He is Firm on price.

Thanks,

-J

I have an '01 so it's the same bike.  As far as parts availability, I haven't found anything too tough yet.  Plastics may be in the next few years because of the Yamaha updates.  It looks like a nice bike and you sometimes find them for less but they're beat.  I have 2 comments about this generation of YZ's - Awesome motor, harsh suspension.  For woods, it will be super-harsh.  For MX, you MAY like it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, motoxvet said:

I have an '01 so it's the same bike.  As far as parts availability, I haven't found anything too tough yet.  Plastics may be in the next few years because of the Yamaha updates.  It looks like a nice bike and you sometimes find them for less but they're beat.  I have 2 comments about this generation of YZ's - Awesome motor, harsh suspension.  For woods, it will be super-harsh.  For MX, you MAY like it.

Thanks for the reply! In regards to the suspension I assume you mean its stiff? I am 220lb so I figured it might not be terrible for woods? The plan for this would be a woods/enduro/mx practice track.

30 minutes ago, jdodd said:

Thanks for the reply! In regards to the suspension I assume you mean its stiff? I am 220lb so I figured it might not be terrible for woods? The plan for this would be a woods/enduro/mx practice track.

That's what I weigh too so I was always confused on why it felt stiff.  I've never even come close to bottoming the forks.  (Yes, springs are stock) I had them re-valved which improved them about 70%.  No more MX for me so it's just woods.  Try it I guess for your use and decide if they're OK, or for options, revalve, install SSS forks and if it's just for woods, I'd even revalve the SSS.

Pros: Nice bike, totally worth it with receipts of new OEM cylinder. Check for wheel bearing replacement, bent dinged wheels/rotors, good brake pads, etc. 

Cons: none really unless carb has not been gone through. 99 up engine, all parts still available. Plastics run 96-2001 and I don't think they are going away soon. To many aftermarket companies out there. 

• Like 2

The 2000 (basically 1999 - 2001) is a solid and very capable bike. I spent one season riding woods on one; never felt as if the suspension was 'not right' -- in fact, it felt real nice -- but it had been set up for my weight.

The 'hit' is more pronounced on the '99 - '01 bikes than the later (2002 - on) bikes; it made accelerating out of (woods) corners a bit sketchy, so we softened it with the reed block spacer that comes on the 2002 & up 250s. Now it hooks up very predictably. A perfect woods motor. :ride:

According to the text in the ad, the bike has lots of worthwhile updates (the pictures didn't load for me), so if it looks clean and well-sorted, his price isn't completely out-of-line.

Parts availability should not be an issue.

Good luck, and keep us updated with what you do. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CaptDan said:

The 2000 (basically 1999 - 2001) is a solid and very capable bike. I spent one season riding woods on one; never felt as if the suspension was 'not right' -- in fact, it felt real nice -- but it had been set up for my weight.

The 'hit' is more pronounced on the '99 - '01 bikes than the later (2002 - on) bikes; it made accelerating out of (woods) corners a bit sketchy, so we softened it with the reed block spacer that comes on the 2002 & up 250s. Now it hooks up very predictably. A perfect woods motor. :ride:

According to the text in the ad, the bike has lots of worthwhile updates (the pictures didn't load for me), so if it looks clean and well-sorted, his price isn't completely out-of-line.

Parts availability should not be an issue.

Good luck, and keep us updated with what you do. :thumbsup:

Unless I'm doing tight single track, I LIKE the hit.  Great fun doing instant wheelies over water holes and bumps.  Definitely a 2t rocket.

• Like 2

I have old beater 00'. been a great bike :thumbsup: I don't ride it much ,so haven't killed it yet lol

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 1

Great bike! I always used mine just as you said you will.

No problem finding parts, great after market support as well as OEM availability.

9 minutes ago, markmc2 said:

Did he rebuild the bottom end? If not then how is it better than new? He seems to hype it up a bit.

looks like a decent deal though.

It's true!  How do you get "better than new" when EVERYTHING  is new on a new bike

• Like 1

Looking at getting a used bike in the 2k or under range. I came across this bike locally and wanted to see what you guys think. The guy buys, rebuilds and sells bikes as a side job. Says he has receipts for all parts. Bottom end was recent when he got it and he put a new top end. Looks very clean.
https://maine.craigslist.org/snw/6100771463.html
How is parts availability on these older bikes? Anything hard to find? Anything notable wrong with the 2k year? I know price varies by area but does it seem like a generally good deal? He is Firm on price.
Thanks,
-J

IMG_20170227_114905.jpg
0rice seems a bit high. I just picked this bike up not to long ago for $2500 in excellent condition.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, motoxvet said:

It's true!  How do you get "better than new" when EVERYTHING  is new on a new bike

"Like new" is all they can ever be again lol nothing like a brandnew one tho:rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2strokebrapp said:

IMG_20170227_114905.jpg
0rice seems a bit high. I just picked this bike up not to long ago for $2500 in excellent condition.

05-07?

boy you guys are pretty cruel and literal!!   The only thing that keeps my 2002 seem as attractive to me as the newer ones is the front forks.  I didnt like them in 2002 and  still don't.   I have several sets of show 47's and may put them on as I have done on yz125's.   other than that,  it is good engine in a good frame and is reliable.   lots of new stuff available that will fit.  I would count on putting a rod kit in it soon,  and swapping some gears to make it more offroad friendly when that time comes. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 2strokebrapp said:

It's on 07.

Ya can tell by rotors . Great bike I had few that era:thumbsup:

boy you guys are pretty cruel and literal!!   The only thing that keeps my 2002 seem as attractive to me as the newer ones is the front forks.  I didnt like them in 2002 and  still don't.   I have several sets of show 47's and may put them on as I have done on yz125's.   other than that,  it is good engine in a good frame and is reliable.   lots of new stuff available that will fit.  I would count on putting a rod kit in it soon,  and swapping some gears to make it more offroad friendly when that time comes. 

I'm not saying it's not a nice bike, and like you said other then the forks and a little more weight it's still an animal. Pretty much the same engine other then mapping. It's just older and generally the steel frames aren't as valuable as the aluminum ones.

I picked this 2001 YZ250 off of craiglists for $1500.  Ive done some things to it since the previous owner did nothing, but runs very strong, just needs a fresh coat of paint on the frame. I think $2k is a little high for the year.  

IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0876.jpg

• Like 1

I picked this 2001 YZ250 off of craiglists for $1500.  Ive done some things to it since the previous owner did nothing, but runs very strong, just needs a fresh coat of paint on the frame. I think $2k is a little high for the year.  
IMG_0873.thumb.jpg.1792dea1d5574777e72f59603adc0aa2.jpg
IMG_0876.jpg.d9394d861d20cb5234734665c25db8a3.jpg

That is a sharp bike bro!
  • Like 1