Sign in to follow this  

Leaky petcock

After repeated rebuilds, and cleanings of my petcock on my 01 Rm 250, it still leaks. Replaced with one on a 03 Rm 250, and that one was leaking as well. A fter cleaning, It won't leak for a week or two, then its right back to leaking. Is this a common problem on the RMs?1492887853743.thumb.jpeg.023b19f6f2ff19816b58f1a0ad64380e.jpeg

It happens, not sure how common it is. Does it leak from the selector knob or the mounting flange? If you decide to replace the fuel valve look into getting one for an RMX, it has a reserve and will probably fit your bike. 

It actually leaks from the actual hose connection location where gas comes out normally. I can cut off the gas, hook up a plastic bottle, and the bottle will be full by the end of the week.

If you mean that it leaks from where the hose slips over the fuel cock then you probably just need a new fuel line and one of those metal clips.

Of course zip ties will work too if that is the problem.

EDIT: Actually, I may have misread you at first.

You can disassemble the valve and make sure there is zero grit in there. I had this problem trying to clean mine out the first time. The tiniest piece of grit between the internal washers will make it leak.