Dirt bike hold down for truck

I am trying to build a dirt bike hold down. I have one found that i like and i am looking for the measurements, picture below is what i am looking for. But if you have any other ideas post a picture i might like it.

univ_sam_bed_rac.jpg

I have one like that in my F150.   Its nice.  However, I had two bikes strapped down before I got that. No problem.    

Why not just buy it?

On 5/8/2017 at 10:32 AM, 17neated said:

I am trying to build a dirt bike hold down. I have one found that i like and i am looking for the measurements, picture below is what i am looking for. But if you have any other ideas post a picture i might like it.

univ_sam_bed_rac.jpg

If you already have a truck the measurements are right in front of you.  The tie down points are entirely up to your needs, one bike or more. Unless you can get metal and welding for free I would just buy one. Rocky Mtn has one for around $100.

Just use electrical channel and eye bolts with the blind electrical nuts. You can move them or add them as needed. About $35 in materials.

What is elec channel? What is a blind elec nut?

What is elec channel? What is a blind elec nut?

20170521_090338.jpeg.92749cbdb706096ec2ead060c7c37f6b.jpeg

It's also called unistrut.

For the sake clarification, 17neated, the Electrical Channel that I believe Wes513v is referring to is stuff you have probably seen on the interior (or exterior) of commercial warehouseused buildings like HomeDepot and Lowe's. The channel is used to hold metal conduit in position against the walls as it is run throughout the building. The "Blind nut" he is referring to is just a piece of steel that slides into the channel and has a threaded hole in it that a bracket and bolt would be threaed into to secure the conduit to the channel. But he went one step further to use an "eye-bolt" instead of a hex-head bolt to thread into the Blind-nut to use for tie-down points. I have not used it in this application as a motorcycle tie-down, but it looks like it would work pretty well. I know I have been rather basic in my explanation here and mean no disrespect to anyone who may see the obvious but is sounded like 17neated could use a little more explaination on it.

While the Electrical Channel things seems like an easy project, unless you just have nothing else to do or just like this projects, for $100, I'd just buy one.

I was planning on making one of those all winter for this riding season. I have the tools to do it and after my wife started riding last season two bikes in the truck with no wheel chock and crisscrossed straps was miserable. I had one bike fall over on a bumpy road. Then I discovered for my truck you needed a special bent wrench to get the nuts on the front of the bed. This wrench only came with purchasing a premade one. After lots of research and buying a toy hauler and needing mounts for it I ended up with the risk racing lock-n-load. Its very pricey bit the are the best mount ever. No more straps  no more fork supports. Wheels don't turn but if they did who cares cause there are no straps to loosen. They remove easily and the bracket is a 1\4" tall. One mount moves between my truck and trailer. They are rock solid. There is a video where a guy jumps his truck with a bike in the back. Check them out. 

http://www.riskracing.com/pages/Lock-N-Load_Motocross_Transport_Page.html

On 5/21/2017 at 11:05 AM, wes513v said:

20170521_090338.jpeg.92749cbdb706096ec2ead060c7c37f6b.jpegemoji106.png

It's also called unistrut.

:thumbsup:

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 11:32 AM, 17neated said:

univ_sam_bed_rac.jpg

I have one, it worked great. I have a trailer now so I don't need it. Shipping might make this not a good deal?

On 5/23/2017 at 9:27 AM, retrorider said:

For the sake clarification, 17neated, the Electrical Channel that I believe Wes513v is referring to is stuff you have probably seen on the interior (or exterior) of commercial warehouseused buildings like HomeDepot and Lowe's. The channel is used to hold metal conduit in position against the walls as it is run throughout the building. The "Blind nut" he is referring to is just a piece of steel that slides into the channel and has a threaded hole in it that a bracket and bolt would be threaed into to secure the conduit to the channel. But he went one step further to use an "eye-bolt" instead of a hex-head bolt to thread into the Blind-nut to use for tie-down points. I have not used it in this application as a motorcycle tie-down, but it looks like it would work pretty well. I know I have been rather basic in my explanation here and mean no disrespect to anyone who may see the obvious but is sounded like 17neated could use a little more explaination on it.

While the Electrical Channel things seems like an easy project, unless you just have nothing else to do or just like this projects, for $100, I'd just buy one.

Yep, so many little things I thought I would build myself and then never get around to it.

I chose to do this because, in a twist of fate, the channel is the same width internally as the Nissan sliding bed extender channel which retails for significantly more. That's why you see it extending down the side of the truck. Two birds, one stone.