Gas leak out of carb - 1981 Honda xl500

Hi guys, new here, I have a 1981 Honda xl500 and it's fantastic. While I was riding yesterday, as I shifted into 3rd or 4th from 2nd, my bike didn’t want to stay in gear and would revert to neutral. When I squeezed the clutch to shift back down, my bike died. This all happened once and I assumed I ran out of gas, but started my bike again and kept riding, where it all happened again a block later. I think, “Bike is probably out of gas, no problem, I’ll go grab some gas and keep going.”

This is where it gets weird.

I start filling my tank and almost instantly notice gas leaking out of the engine. I stop pouring and look – it is coming out of the carb. It looks like it could be a designated overflow drain but since I had only put about 1-2L of fuel in the tank, I do not know why it would be overflowing. I turned my gas shutoff to the off position and it stopped. When I turned it back on again, the gas was draining out of the overflow drain as well as another overflow drain on the other side of the carb! I didn’t want to keep filling gas in the tank just to watch it keep leaking, so I stopped filling the tank and gave up for the night.

What should I do? Thanks in advance for any advice given!

valves.jpeg

honda.PNG

clean the float needle,  set the float.  you may need a new needle by now too.  

On 5/8/2017 at 9:24 AM, ossagp said:

clean the float needle,  set the float.  you may need a new needle by now too.  

Am I going to be able to ride the bike in its current state? it is not currently in the location where I am able to work on it. 

Check your floats they are probably stuck and with today's gas with ethanol its terrible for floats happens all the time in my old 84 atc250r

Sounds like the float is sticking, drop the bowl off and clean, then check its turning off when float comes up to level you can use your finger to check this.